Help with upper arms, what are my options? (photos)

I hate my upper arms as they are wrinkled. I am 71 and my face is young for my age but my arms let me down and I always cover them up. I'd love to wear sleeveless tops and strapless maxi dresses but my arms let me down. I have been told that there is an operation but the scar is from your elbow to your underarm and is unsightly. Is this true? Is there any help for me>

You may be a candidate for smart lipo to tighten the skin around your arm instead of an arm lift.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations. 

Always a scar, but. . .

Without being able to examine you completely and just from the photos I see, I cannot say for sure, but I suspect you would be an excellent candidate for a brachioplasty as you have described. I have had excellent luck with where I place the scar and how I close it and how I treat it  postoperatively to minimize scarring such that many patients have scars that are almost imperceptible. There will always be a scar there but the quality of it is very important.   I think you would be an excellent candidate for it but you need to talk to a local board-certified plastic surgeon who tells you their experience and their impression of the situation. You look great and I hope this helps and you find a solution to your arms. 

Upper Arm Rejuvenation

Thank you for your question and pictures. Based on your pictures, I feel that an upper arm lift will tighten the upper arms and remove the loose skin. The incision is usually on the inner aspect of the arm. While it does fade with time, just like all scars it is permanent.

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the photos alone, it's difficult to say what an arm lift, known as brachioplasty would do for you. At 71 years old, I assume that your issues are a result of loose/excess skin. Non-surgical options can improve the density of your skin, but if there is significant collagen deficiency, you might be disappointed. To evaluate if an arm lift is necessary, I recommend you seek the advice from a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for an in office exam. Yes, arm lift surgery does have the incision line that you mentioned, but with great care and communication, the scar can be tolerated.

Good luck!

Reza Rod, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon