Is a Red, Blotchy Skin Patch a Rosacea Symptom?

I have a slight redness or "blotchiness" on the apples of my cheeks and chin. As I grow older, the condition worsens. My mother also has the same problem. Is this rosacea?

Doctor Answers 2


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Rosacea generally affects the cheeks and when it effects the nose it can be called rhinophyma. However, it can be found nearly anywhere on the face.

Rosacea can be aggravated by certain foods and alcohol. This is why it has been associated with alcoholism (red wine tends to be the worse culprit) even though it does not causally related.

One of the first things you should do is (I am judging from the picture) is to use sunblock. Over the counter retinols may provide mild relief.

Other than that it would be best for you to see a dermatologist. There are many treatment options, the most popular of which is metrogel, a topical antibiotic but there are many other options.

Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Sounds like Rosacea

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It may very well be. It fits the description, and the distribution on the face. I really can't tell by your photo (and I hope you had sunscreen on). A trip to your plastic surgeon or dermatologist can tell for sure, and he should be able to help at the same time.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.