I developed lumps under my eyes and forehead after Bellafill injections, dr says next treatment is 5-FU, is that a viable option

I've been treated with steroids and some type of acid to no avail. My doctor says the next treatment is 5fu, I'm skeptical, is surgery an viable option?

Lumps After Bellafill

I am sorry to here that you have this problem.  Initially, when Bellafill is first injected it is 85% collagen.  Injectable collagen is not used much anymore but it was  notorious for making lumps.  This can happen with Bellafill as well.  The reason is that the collagen, when mixed with blood, will make scars which you feel as a lump. The great news is that these scars or lumps almost always will settle, soften and eventually go away.  Initially, you can do gentle massage.  I recommend massage for 3 months and then if the scars are still present, I move on to injections of a 5FU and Kenalog 10 mixture.  Very small amounts are injected and these injections need to be done every month for about 3 to 5 months depending upon the progress that is made.  This regimen has been very successful for the few patients who develop this problem. 

I hope that helps. 

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Lump Cessation--Massage, Venus Legacy after Bellafill

I would try 5FU before I went the surgery route.  Massage and venus legacy treatments can help soften the lumps too. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Limos on forehead and under eyes with Bellafill

These are 2 areas that nodules are very highly likely. Both need expertise in injecting. I don't inject forehead. Surgery is always an option for removal. 5FU is also an option. It is an injection. I would go the 5FU route if I were you. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD