Had thigh lipo inner and outer . Biggest mistake of my life. Any suggestions? (photos)

I'm very regretful of having my legs lipoed I once had Big legs and minor saddlebags Now I realized those where what essentuated my hips and bottom half of body it's now been 3 weeks post op and I'm still quite square I want a revision , any ideas as to how to reverse this or a method to obtaining my shape back, the whole situation has me depressed and general anesthesia is something I rather not do . I need a professional, I want this taken care of this never consider surgery again.

Three weeks after liposuction is too early to consider a revision.

Not exactly sure what you're aesthetic concerns are. The photographs are not particularly revealing. However at your stage of convalescence there still would be sizable swelling which should be allowed to resolve before even considering a revision.

LIpo at three weeks

At three weeks you are still early post-op.  Even if you had enough fat to inject, you would be best to wait until all the swelling subsides. This might take 4-6 months.

Liposuction question

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with your results. Be patient and allow time for healing. You will need to consider fat grafting to regain the shape you are looking for. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

The correction of inappropriate liposuction

I'm sorry you have found yourself in the situation you have.

Having spent thousands of dollars to look better only to be disappointed with the outcome is a terrible thing that should happen very rarely.

Having thorough discussions during consultations which should include patient education and assessing goals and expectations cannot be understated.

This is in my opinion equally as important as technical expertise.
When we tell patients that liposuction gives permanent results that is exactly what we mean.

Reversing poorly done liposuction is difficult and at times not possible.

This is especially true when liposuction was done in an aggressive manner removing too much fat.

Generally the options include rivage in surgery when areas need to be made more even.

This is basically performing more liposuction an attempt to make the results more even.

This may not be appropriate in your case.

The second option is fat transfer. While this may seem like the optimal treatment to correct excess of liposuction it is not as easy as reverse liposuction.

The procedure is based on removing fat from one area and carefully grafting it in another area.

In your case for example liposuction could be done on your abdomen and waist and transferred to your inner and outer thighs.

The long-term success of this can add approximately 25 to 50% of the volume in any one given area.

Let me try to demonstrate what I mean.

Let's say an area that is going to be treated with fat transfer is 1 inch thick.
That area can generally be grafted to become 2 inches thick during a single session.

Of the fat grafted approximately 50% can be expected to survive long term, Though sometimes that is an optimistic figure. This means the area would go from 1 inch to 2 inches thick initially.

With time the area would shrink and final thickness would be one and a half inches.

Grafting more fat than an attempt to double one area volume leads to a higher percentage of long-term fat loss.

To not put this in perspective of revision surgery let's say someone started with 3 inches of subcutaneous fat.

If 2 inches of fat was removed initially with liposuction one single fat transfer procedure could restore 1/2 inch leaving the area one and a half inches thick.

That's a fairly minor correction if someone started with a 3 inch thick layer of subcutaneous fat.

If however the area started with 3 inches of fat and was liposuctioned to 2 inches of fat then they area could potentially be restored to full thickness.

This is the reason overly aggressive liposuction is so difficult to correct. My practice is devoted exclusively to liposuction and fat transfer.

I am one of very few plastic surgeons who has devoted my career to these two procedures.

95% of all the surgeries I perform are either liposuction or fat transfer.
I do the great majority of both liposuction and fat transfer without the use of general anesthesia and find this to be preferable to putting patients to sleep.

I suggest you interview with multiple plastic surgeons and try to find someone who has two expertise with both liposuction and fat transfer.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction Regrets

I appreciate your concerns, but physical exam or more revealing photos would help. It is still very early in your Postop course, and things may improve. See your surgeon and voice your concerns. It is way too early to consider revision. Try to stay positive and patient. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Unhappy lipo

Hi
Thanks for the question.  Sorry about your concerns you are having.  I think based on the picture your shape looks great, don't know if this is before or after surgery though.  It is way to early to consider revision.  Wait at least three months to get a better idea of how things will look.  At that point you can start the discussions with your surgeon.  It may involve fat grafting to those areas if you really wish you had the fat back.  i would recommend 6-12 months though before doing that to allow scarring to mature.  

Good Luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Liposuction Regrets

Hello and thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear you are not pleased with the results of your procedure. Three weeks is still very early to judge any results, and the ones you see now are not a reflection of what your final results will be. If you are not satisfied, I would suggest scheduling a visit with your surgeon to discuss what areas bother you. They would know your body and procedure better than anyone, so I would absolutely start there. Best Wishes. 

#Liposuction - Had thigh lipo inner and outer

At this point it is much too early even to consider a revision.  It takes 4-6 weeks to see 80% of the result, 3 months to see 90% and 6 months or longer to see the final result.  After that period of time you can consider doing something, if appropriate.  

But if you're regretting that fat was removed your only option will be to do MORE lipo from some part of your bod, and reinsert that into the parts that you didn't want reduced.  And whether or not that will be practical or worth it is hard to say now.

Stay in touch with your PS, allow the healing to proceed on its own and if at 6 months you still feel this way you can explore options.  Hopefully, you'll be happy with the result and that will end the concerns.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf500