Can Juvederm between the eyes if done wrong cause blindness?

Can Juvederm Cause Blindness?

Any filler injected between the eyes (glabella) can cause blindness. This can occur when the filler is injected into a blood vessel then traveled to the blood supply to the eye. This is rare but can occur. This is why I do not inject fillers between the eyes. Botox is the best option for this area. Please consult with an expert injector or the best treatment plan.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thanks for your important question.  Fillers in almost any area of the face can cause complications but the most feared are loss of vision due to retrograde injection into an artery.  This is only partly technique dependent and there is no guarantee that it will not happen leading me and many others to avoid ever injecting fillers (especially fat) into the vertical 11 lines between the brows.  Admittedly it is a rare complication but one that I do not wish to experience for any of my patients.

Xeomin or Botox are very effective in this area and I personally would be satisfied with the results from use of a neuromodulator alone if I were you.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Fillers and blindness

Thank you for your question.  Any filler injected in the face could cause blindness if the filler is accidentally injected into an artery.  Luckily this is very rare.  Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler and can be dissolved with hyaluronidase injections if any side effects occur.

Lisa Zaleski-Larsen, DO, FAAD
San Diego Dermatologist

Juvederm In The Glabellar Area

Thank you for your excellent question.  Vascular occlusion causing blindness is a known, but extremely rare, complication when filler is injected in the glabellar area.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Hello Sam1238,

There have been reports when people were receiving fillers into the vertical 1s (between the eyes, AKA the glabella) that lost vision.  This occurred when the filler entered into a blood vessel that then traveled to the blood supply to the eye. It is rare, but it is for this reason that I personally do not inject filler into that area.  The other possibility that can happen is that even if the vessel is not injected, if the vessel is compressed or squeezed down because of the filler placed above, it can stop the blood supply to a small area of the forehead and cause skin loss, which has also been shown to happen.

There are some treatment options for that area, and I recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to learn the surgical and non surgical options.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial fillers are injected to improve the contours of the face. It is a very safe and reliable office-based procedure when performed with appropriate technique for the right indications. 

Any facial filler injected in the area between the eyes (glabella) using any technique (including blunt cannula) has the potential for entering a blood vessel and causing blindness. It is an extremely rare complication. I have only read reports about it. Neuromodulators (Dysport, Xeomin, Botox) produce a safe and reliable result in the glabella, so I would rather not expose my patients to the risk of fillers in that particular area. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler in the glabella

Any type of filler injected into the glabella could on a rare occasion cause blindness.  We usually try to stick to Botox/Dysport since these can usually soften the lines significantly.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vascular occlusion and blindness from Juvederm

This can occur if injected intravascularly in the glabellar area. This is often not fully explained to patients. I don't inject in this area often with filler. Botox can manage most wrinkles in this area. Unfortunately, blindness is rarely reversible after it occurs.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Hi, 

Thank you for your question. Although very rare, it is possible to cause blindness by injecting filler between the eyes. It is, of course, important to have this treatment done only by an expert injector. Also, if you are referring to filling in frown lines, oftentimes several rounds of a neuromodulator (e.g., Botox, Dysport) is the best and safest first step before considering filler in that area. 

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expertise = Priceless

There is an extremely rare chance of blindness when the filler is placed around the eyes.  I suggest you get cannula injections of fillers for the best and safest results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.