Should I Be Worried? I had a Mastopexy lift and saline Implants 2 1/2 wks ago ,

1 wk into it and my stitch opened and is leaking dark blood, my Dr said its a hematoma & has me on another round of antibiotics and drainage has slowed down, will it resolve itself and if so how long will it take?

Wait for some time

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

When you have a hematoma

you should worry only if it doesn't stop draining or if the opening communicates with your implant.  Otherwise everything should resolve on its own with proper wound care and time.

Curtis Wong, MD

Possible hematoma after breast surgery

It is rather common for a wound to pull apart a bit after a mastopexy and augmentation.   If this is a superficial wound, it will heal just fine......but if you truly have a hematoma and it is leaking from the incision, that is not good news.   I would definitely have the hematoma evacuated and the wound closed.   Leaving the blood there will increase the chance of getting a contracture, and leaving an opening down to the implant will drastically increase the chance of getting an infection, whether or not you are taking antibiotics!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well…
I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hematoma vs blood under incision

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry you are having these events after your surgery.  Without pictures or an in-person examination, it is hard to give you accurate advice.  In general, some people can get a very small collection of blood just under their incision.  If this is the case, opening it up (making sure the implant is not at risk for exposure) and doing aggressive local wound care can work.  Regardless, I prefer to wash those out in the operating room and close as soon as possible if it is available as an option, as I don't like to take any chance of getting an implant infection.  If you truly have a "hematoma," my preference is to take to the operating room and evacuate it as we know that retained hematomas can act as a nidus for inflammation and lead to subsequent capsular contracture.  Make sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Breast lift with augmentation hematoma

Sounds like you are having some trouble following your breast lift and implant augmentation; with aggressive local wound care and hematoma management, you should do well. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Possibly

Consider evacuation of hematoma with drain placement. Discuss with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS