How much time after a Breast Augmentation is it recommended to wear a under wire bra?

It's been 6 weeks and 5 days since my surgery. Feedback please! TIA :)

When You Can Wear an Underwire

Every surgeon will have a different, custom post-operative regime depending on the method of implant placement, surgical technique and personal preference. To be safe, I would contact your surgeon's office for their preferred healing time. Personally, I recommend to wait 8 weeks following a breast augmentation through the inframammary (incision in the breast crease) approach. This allows the incision to heal without any rubbing or irritation to the new scar so that you may heal with the best scar possible.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

When You Can Wear an Underwire

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Bra after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Every surgeon has a different recommendation -
  • And it depends on the patient's anatomy and implant size as well.
  • I generally allow patients to wear any kind of bra as long as it is comfortable and supportive
  • It is best to ask your surgeon if s/he has any specific recommendations.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Bra after breast augmentation

Speak with your surgeon

I will always advise you to speak with your surgeon since each of us has our own post op protocol. However, I tell my patients to wait at least 4 weeks so you should be fine. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Speak with your surgeon

Thank you for your question.  The answer to this question really depends on your surgeon and what type of surgery was performed.  In my practice, I use a transaxillary approach to breast augmentation where there is a very small incision made underneath the armpit, so there is no incision on the breast itself.  If your incision was made under the breast, the main reasons your plastic surgeon might advise you to wait to wear an underwire bra would be so that you didn't irritate the incision area.  Typically by a month or 6 weeks you could wear an underwire bra with no problem, but double check with your plastic surgeon.  

Underwire bra after breast aug?

I advise my patients to wear an underwire bra after one month. At one month, an inframammary crease incision should be stable and tolerate added pressure of a wired bra.

Underwire bra after breast aug?

Under wire bra?

Thank you for writing. Congratulations on having a breast augmentation. In regards to bras to wear during the recovery period, different surgeons will have different preferences. Like Dr. Morgan below, I also allow patients to wear any type of bra as long as it "comfortable and supportive."  Best wishes to you.

William McClure, MD

Under wire bra?

William McClure, MD

Hello and thanks for submitting your question. Truly, there are many different answers to this question and reasons for why we as surgeons say what we say. Your surgeon is the one who can help you the best with this one. Depending on the patient and how recovery is going, this answer could be up to as many as 6 months. But again, the surgeon taking care of you and monitoring your progress is the one with the right answer.

Hope this was helpful. Best wishes for a smooth recovery

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Under wire bra

Hello. Thank you for your question. We know that under wire bra will provide much more support to the implants but I think you already have enough time so you can start  a without wire Bra. I recommend to use of these Bra for a period of 4-6 weeks.

Under wire bra

Underwire

That is up to your surgeon. There may be specific reason he/she has recommended this. I never use underwire bras as part of recovery except in one very uncommon and specific circumstance. Ask your surgeon.

Underwire

There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras and when the use of underwire bra's are OK. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.
Best wishes

Best wishes