How soon is it recommended to carry my 7 month old baby who weighs 21pds? Is it alright to go up the stairs at home?

I got a mommy make over on October 1st and I'm a little scared to carry my baby and to go up the stairs here at home. So I'm 2 weeks and 3 days post op. I still have one drain in and I'm hoping to get that one taken out soon.

Thank you for your question.  Depending on the procedures you had done, I would recommend waiting for at least 6-8 weeks before carrying your baby.  Though tempting to do, you are not fully healed from surgery and heavy lifting may effect your results.  More importantly, your surgery will cause you to fatigue quicker, possibly increasing the risk of dropping your baby accidentally.  

Stairs after mommy makeover

I would think it is ok to go up the stairs slowly at this point after a mommy makeover, but I am less confident about lifting a 21 pound 7 month old. You need the core muscles to stabilize the baby and 7 month olds don't like to hold still making it more of a challenge. I would ask your doctor as it differs depending on how much work you had done. I usually suggest waiting a few more weeks to at least 4 weeks before lifting your baby. Congratulations on getting your body back. It will be worth it once everything has healed.

W. John Bull, MD

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Caring for Others

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover recovery

I would suggest that you speak with your surgeon as he or she knows your case best, but, in general, I would advise my patients to wait 6-8 weeks before lifting 21 lbs. I know it's frustrating, but your body needs to heal or your results could be compromised. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I appreciate your question.

No strenuous activity for 6-8 weeks is best.  Please discuss with your surgeon as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Carrying baby after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over recovery.

• You need to ask your surgeon for direct advice because only s/he knows how you are healing.
  • I personally do not let my patients carry their children for about 6 weeks -
  • And if you are scared to carry your baby upstairs - don't. 
  • It's not just the risk of tearing the surgery but pain can make you lose hold of your child who can then fall down stairs and be seriously hurt.  
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Postop care for mommy makeover

Your plastic surgeon has given you a full set of instructions and restrictions. I recommend that you follow these instructions to the letter. You should be able to climb stairs by holding onto the railing and going up one step and then bringing to trailing leg to meet it.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  I tell my patients to be careful with any heavy lifting for about six weeks after their procedures.  Please seek the advice of your operating surgeon to determine what he or she recommends as the protocol varies from patient to patient.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Congratulations on having undergone the mommy makeover surgery. You will find a great degree of variability when it comes to postoperative instructions. Therefore, you will be best off receiving this type of postoperative care advice directly from your plastic surgeon. He/she will know exactly how you are progressing and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.