How long do I have to take off from work for hair transplant?

I would like to get hair transplants but cannot afford to take off more than 2 days. Is it possible>

Depends on Several Factors

You'll need to take at least some time off from work, but the exact amount depends on which procedure you choose, as well as the extent of the transplant. For example, if you undergo follicular unit extraction, or FUE, you'll likely only need a couple of days home from work. The "strip" method is more invasive, so it may require more downtime. I recommend seeing a physician who specializes in hair transplantation, someone with enough versatility and experience to recommend the technique that gives you the results you want with as little downtime as possible. 

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

How long do I need off work after hair transplants?

I have been using the FUE system for hair transplants. This involves shaving the hair where the micrografts will be removed from which is usually the back of the head. With this system, you no longer need a strip removed and the hair grows back in the area that the grafts were taken from. Some of my patients shave are able to go back even the next day or two for no bandages are on and showering is permitted. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question. The amount of days needed to take off from work all depends on the number of grafts needed. We have patients who take off a few days (midweek, so they have the weekend ahead of them) others who have the luxury to take 2 weeks or 3 weeks.

Patients also have other options where concealment is a priority, non-shaving FUE sessions of the donor and recipient region. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Some people go back to work a day after surgery. Some take over a week off after surgery. It is best to check with

Some people go back to work a day after surgery. Some take over a week off after surgery. It all depends on the type of surgery, your level of comfort, and your doctor's recommendation. 

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How soon back to work after hair transplant?

Different doctors have different opinions about this (and almost everything!). I tell my patients they can go back to work the following day IF they have a non-strenuous job that does not involve a lot of bending and they do not need to wear a hard-hat. (A baseball cap is fine as long as it is loose-fitting and care is taken not to drag it over the grafts.) So unless your your job falls into that category, *and if you were my patient*, 2 days off would be fine--but this is a question you should ask the surgeon who will be doing your transplant. Just remember, to a greater or lesser degree it will almost certainly be noticeable that you've had a hair transplant for the first 7-10 days (or longer after FUE surgery), so plan accordingly.

I hope this was helpful--
Dr. Ballon

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Return to work.

Unless you work in a situation wherein you might be struck in the head ( i.e. soccer player) you can go back in 2-3 days depending on your hairstyle, hair length, the amount of hair work done, the tecnique that is used and headgear wearing possibilities. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair transplant

I tell my patients that they can go to work immediately after a hair transplant, but if they had FUE, wear a hat. Most people do it on a Thursday and go to work on Monday. IF they had us do it, they come into the office Friday morning for us to wash off all signs of the hair transplant.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon