Lollipop or anchor? Scars is causing me a lot of anxiety. 31 and single. (photos)

BR scheduled for 4 weeks from now. I am excited but scared. So happy to not have all attention drawn to my chest, less neck pain, be able to work out easier,and maybe go braless or wear cute bralettes! I feel like pair of breast with a person attached to them, so the reduction will help physically and emotionally. I am 5'5, 155lbs. Currently 36DDD, Bordering an E cup. Lollipop can take me to 36D, anchor to 36C. My biggest anxiety is scars. Any input? Also, was dating hard with the scars?

Breast reduction

your breast reduction can be done either with a lollipop scar or an anchor scar.  I think what you will find, however, is that most surgeons will recommend the anchor type lift because that is the procedure most surgeons have experience with.  Personally, I also would perform your reduction with the anchor scar because I feel it gives better upper pole fullness.  There are of course scars, but they generally fade well over time.

When considering a breast reduction

scarring is part of the procedure and you simply have to accept it and cannot fret about things you cannot change.  As for technique, lollipops are nice with minimal to no transverse scar but in my hands, I cannot resect as much tissue as I can with the traditional anchor technique.  So the next question is do you want a maximal excision or just the minimum to qualify for your insurance coverage?  If the former, an anchor would be recommended and if the latter, then the lollipop.  And you can also ask your surgeon what interventions may help with your healing.  You will get scars... so you just have to hope for the best scarring possible.

Curtis Wong, MD

#Incisionless Breast Lift

You pose a great question which is debated among plastic surgeons and is largely based on their training and experience with various types of reductions.  I think that you can have a nice reduction with either an anchor shaped scar or a lollipop scar.  And, I don't think you need to limit your size choice based on the incision.  You can get a C Cup result with a Lollipop scar technique. 

Another option since you state that you are scared of any scar, is to have an incisionless scarless breast reduction.  This is the newest type of reduction.  It uses Radiofrequency Assisted Liposuction (RFAL) to reduce the fat and "shrink wrap" the skin and connective tissue.  if you want a more modest reduction and no visible scar whatsoever, then you might want to consider that technique.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Breast reduction incisions?

In my practice I would be discussing a full mastopexy to allow me to reshape and reduce your breasts to the optimal degree. The trade-off of course is the scars.  I recommend that my patients use Embrace Scar Therapy for a period of eight weeks starting about one month after the procedure.  I think the full anchor incision affords you the best likelihood of satisfaction with your reduction and shape over the long-term. Best wishes and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Reduction Scars

The reality of the vertical scar of the 'lollypop' for you is that it won't be a short, straight line going from areolar to inframammary fold. Because of the size an sag of your breast, you have too much 'vertical skin excess'. This can only be addressed by either a true anchor with it's inframammary incision, or with an extension of the vertical scar of a lollypop towards the side of the breast in the inframammary area, essentially half an inframammary incision. Here's my philosophy: You will only get the best breast shape and the finest scars when the skin excess has been addressed in the most direct and expeditious fashion, so that the forces on each of the scar components (periareolar, vertical, and inframammary) are minimized. Post operative scar therapy (cheap paper tape 24/7) for three to four months will take care of the rest. Lollypop breast reductions are prone to high ridding nipples, recurrent glandular ptosis, more conspicuous scaring and overall poor breast shape. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Lollipop vs Anchor

Hello and thanks for your photos

I think you'll have a nice result with either technique and that you'll feel much better after breast reduction. It's great to hear that your surgeon can offer you either technique; I think it's important to fit the technique to the patient. I primarily use the lollipop technique and find it very effective for most breasts, but I will occasionally use the anchor incisions for larger or longer breasts. I do find that I can go a bit smaller with the anchor scar. It's hard to predict exact cup size with either technique, so I would advise not to focus on that. If your top priority is to go as small as possible, you might choose the anchor. However, I think you would have a lovely result with the lollipop as well, with fewer scars, so i dont think there is a wrong answer.

I hope that helps-

Best wishes-

Breast Reduction Scars

There is controversy about surgical technique, but my opinion, supported by "before and after" photos of my own patients, is that an "anchor" scar is NEVER needed, even for very large reductions.  Most especially, if scar burden is an important issue for you, review post-surgical scar management program with your surgeon in advance.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast Reduction?

First, the very best of luck to you with your upcoming breast reduction. It is very natural to be nervous, and to have concerns regarding scarring. Unfortunately, no one has devised a way to safely/effectively reduce the breasts without some incision scars. All plastic surgeons try to minimize our incisions, and use every possible trick to obtain good scars which are as short and concealed as possible. In my hands, the inverted-T incision works much better in patients with your degree of breast enlargement.

As you are probably already aware, patient satisfaction following breast reduction tends to be very high. Many describe it as 'life-changing', and wish that they had done it long ago. I hope that this is your experience as well.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Lollipop or anchor

A lollipop lift is not what you need. With E cup breasts, you will not alleviate your back and neck pain by going down to a D.  You are fair skinned and the anchor scars will fade. You are also not a candidate for liposuction of the breasts which would result in your nipples being in an inappropriate position. Having performed thousands of these operations, I know how life changing breast reduction can be but you need to have the procedure which is appropriate for your situation. Given the asymmetry and difference in nipple heights already, the only way to even you out and achieve your goals is with a formal breast reduction. 

Reduction

Thank you for the question and you may be a candidate for a scarless reduction and lift with RFAL. So see an expert in your area who uses this technique

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD