Why do I have a large lump in the middle of my lip? (Photos)

I had juvaderm lip injections 6 days ago and I still have a large lump in the middle of my top lip. It is very uneven and unattractive as it swoops down rather than up!!! It feels somewhat hard and has gone down a little bit but it is still very noticable. Is this normal or do I need to dissolve it?

Lumps after Juvederm

I suspect that the region of your lip that you are referring to is still very swollen and bruised. Since you are only 6 days out from your treatment, this is not abnormal. The most significant swelling from these types of injections can last up to two weeks, while bruising, especially deep bruising, can last up to a month. I would not recommend dissolving the product yet. Often, this type of deep bruising manifests as swelling and enlargement versus discoloration and what we recognize as typical bruising. At this time, I think it is very hard to properly evaluate your lips because there is so much swelling and bruising. The fact that you mention the lump has gone down some already, makes me suspect even more that this is normal progression and will continue to improve. If within the next week or two it does not improve or you are still not happy, I would then go back to your provider to be reassessed. 

Columbus Physician

Dear bowiecat, It appears that you have a lot of swelling and bruising that still needs to dissipate over the next few days. I would wait until this resolves and if the lump is still there then I would discuss having it dissolved. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lumpy Lips After Juvederm Injection

Hi, and thanks for your question. I see what you are talking about, but I also see some bruising and redness from the lip injections, so it looks like the swelling has not quite fully resolved. I would suggest waiting another few days at least before you go back to your injector. Then you can make the decision whether to dissolve the filler or not. Fortunately, the hyaluronidase enzyme works quickly and it is an easy procedure. Hope that helps

Lump in middle of lip after filler

This is poor injection technique and needs to be dissolved. I don't think it will improve. This are should not be filled with a lot of filler. There is naturally a very small tubercle there that sometimes needs a small touch of filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lumpy lips after fillers

Hi there, thanks for your question.  I see what you're talking about and I understand your concerns.  You still have bruising and swelling - the lump may resolve when this subsides.  Please be patient.  Lips can take up to two weeks for swelling and bruising to resolve completely.  Plan to see your injector at two weeks if you are still unhappy.  She or he can make adjustments at that time.  Good luck!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Juvederm/Bump/Dissolve?--Lip Augmentation with Fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) or Lip Implant or Fat

You may still have some swelling from your injection. Wait another week for full results, and you can always dissolve the filler if you're still unhappy. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumps after juvederm injection

You still have some bruising and swelling and need to wait one more week for it to subside. If the problem persists your doctor may use a dissolving injection (Hylenex or Vitrase) to fix it. That's one big advantage hyaluronic acid fillers have compared to fat and silicon injections in the lips - it can be fixed easy.  So don't worry too much about it.

Lip Fillers and Unven Lumps

It appears that you still have bruising and swelling from your lip injections.  If after two weeks you still have the same problem you need to return to your treating physician for examination and possible Vitrase to dissolve the lump.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm lips.

It could be swelling or excess filler.  Give it a couple of weeks and have your injector reevaluate.  Massage can also help.

Lawrence Broder, MD
Cedar Park Family Physician

Swelling after lip augmentation

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon