I had my mommy makeover 3 days ago. How long will I be in discomfort and pain? Is there a time line? (Photo)

Discomfort after Mommy Makeover

Pain and discomfort is one of those topics that is different for each patient.  Of course, if you are having severe pain and your pain medication is not helping, then you need to call your surgeon's office.  From your picture I presume you had an abdominoplasty and some type of breast procedure.  Typically I see abdominoplasty patients returning to light/normal activity after about 2-3 weeks.  The major discomfort is typically gone by the first week.  Usually breast discomfort begins to resolve by the first week as well depending on what you had done.  At only three days after surgery it is not uncommon to still have discomfort. I would recommend talking with your surgeon about the typical post-operative course they have for the surgeries you had performed. Best of luck!

Long Beach Physician

Pain after surgery

It's very difficult to give you a timeline on discomfort and pain because every patient has a different rate of healing and sensitivity. In general, the worse pain and discomfort is in the first two-three days after surgery. However, medication can alleviate this dramatically. Please talk to your surgeon to find out what medication can be prescribed for your discomfort. 

Please try to relax and do not strain yourself as you recover. Talking to a friend, watching comedies, reading a great book or listening to music may all help improve your comfort at this time. 

I had my mommy makeover 3 days ago. How long will I be in discomfort and pain? Is there a time line?

I appreciate your question.

Everyone heals differently.  Try to rest, relax, recover and follow your Surgeon's post op instructions.  Most of my patients are starting to feel good within 2 weeks.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Pain

Thank you for your question and photo.  In short, there is no telling how long it will take for the pain to subside.  Please be patient over the next few months, and continue to follow the instructions of your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Healing and Discomfort after a Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makover 3 days ago. How long will pain last?

Thank you for your question.  Our office takes post operative pain management seriously.  Our current protocol includes a pain pump, (with numbing medicine), that will instill the numbing medicine in the area for the first three days after abdominoplasty.  Patients typically move off the pain medicine to Tylenol after a few days.  We try to avoid ibuprofen and aspirin products for a couple weeks post op.  Each patient has their own pain tolerance.  You are very early in your post operative course.  Best to talk to your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as each surgeon will approach the operation and the postoperative management differently. 

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Early results look good

Your PS is the most qualified to assist you with navigating the post-op period.  Assuming you had an abdominoplasty and breast augmentation and you have a pain pump, your discomfort should be fairly steady for 10 days but start to recede as soon as the drains are removed (usually POD 7).  Most of my MM patients are driving by POD 10-14.  Of the two anatomical zones, invariably, the abdomen tends to be the most painful, however the use of compression garments is useful to avoid excessive motion of the trunk as well as preventing seroma formation, after drain removal.  Your early results look good!

Lavinia K. Chong, MD