I am considering cool sculpting for my thighs (inner and outer). is it the best procedure for me?

I am 57 years old, 5'3" and 120 lbs. I have worked out my entire life and I have never been able to get rid of the cellulite or small saddle bags on my thighs. Is it better for me to do cool sculpting, liposuction or spiral thigh lift? I don't really need a lot of work. I have a bit of sagging in the front and would love to get rid of the sagging? But I hate the cellulite that I have in the back of my thighs. I'm confused and really can't decide what is the best procedure for me? Can you help.

#CoolSculpting for saddlebags

CoolSculpting is the best treatment for reduction of localized fat deposits on the outer thighs, since the fatty tissue is too fibrous in this area for liposuction, and it is the only treatment that permanently eliminates fat cells other than liposuction. The CoolSmooth applicator is what is required -- just be aware that not all practices have it. And the Cool Fit is the best applicator for the inner thighs.  

PelleFirm can be employed to tighten the skin, using radiofrequency treatment for gentle and slow heating of the skin to the temperature at which it contracts. 

There is no reliably effective treatment for cellulite, although many patients find that by reducing the thickness of the fatty layer, cellulite improves.  Some patients get improvement of cellulite with PelleFirm.

All the best! Dr. Clark

Coolsculpting and saddle bags and thighs

Coolsculpting is the best non surgical tool for reducing localized fat bulges especially in the saddle bag areas and flanks. The new coolsmooth piece allows outer thighs to be done in just two hours for each side. The new cool fit applicator is best for the inner thighs. Please consult a board certified dermatologist with all of the new applicators with experience in this for the best cosmetic results. 

Treatment of Thighs

You have described 3 different issues: cellulite, saddle bags and skin laxity. Each issue can be improved with its own treatment.

Without a picture it is difficult to say if you are a good candidate for Coolsculpting. If you were a candidate for Coolsculpting the only thing that it could treat could be your saddle bags, it does not treat cellulite or skin laxity.

If you wanted to treat the cellulite in the back of your thighs I would recommend Pellefirm. Pellefirm treatments show best improvement after a series of 6 treatments. Once a week for 4 weeks and then every 2 weeks for 2 additional sessions. These treatments result in firmer skin and temporary improvement in the appearance of cellulite. This machine uses a wand that can be applied to the abdomen, arms, buttocks, thighs and it is necessary for the practitioner to achieve a certain temperature on the skin for the treatment to be effective.

For the skin laxity in front of your leg I would recommend Thermage CPT. Thermage works very well on the legs to tighten the skin. It’s a non-surgical procedure that is clinically proven to be safe and effective with No downtime. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to complete and you will see some immediate results off the table with continued improvement for six months after treatment as your skin continues to regenerate collagen and thicken its collagen matrix resulting in a smoothing effect.

If your biggest concern is cellulite I would start with the Pellefirm treatment. It is important to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see what the best option for you is.

For more information click link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for the saddle bags is great

Coolsculpting with the new Coolsmooth applicator is excellent for the lateral thigh/saddle bag area.  We have had amazing results with not only improving the saddle bags but with improving cellulite in that area as well.  To improve the sagging, you can consider something like Venus Legacy- a radio frequency treatment that heats the skin and causes it to tighten and new collagen to be created a well.   You sound like a great candidate for these procedures but it is difficult to say with certainty what procedures are best for you without seeing you in person, so for a more specific treatment plan, consider a face to face consultation.
Good luck!

Grant Stevens, MD

Inner and outer thighs, best procedure?

Hard to tell without photos or exam.  CoolSculpting has had FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool.  CoolSculpting has a specific applicator that has been used in this area with good results.  We have had good experience with the skin snapping back.  Each individual is different.  See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Moreover, would also consider seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who can give advice on both CoolSculpting and Liposuction.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting for Thighs

CoolSculpting is fantastic for those stubborn deposits of fat that don’t seem to improve even with diet and exercise. It seems from your inquiry that you might be an excellent candidate for CoolSculpting but there are multiple other treatment options, just as you’ve mentioned. I would recommend consulting an experienced physician that can help tailor your treatment options to your specific needs.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for the Outer and Inner Thighs

CoolSculpting works best on patients that are slender with stubborn areas of fatty deposits that won't budge no matter how much dieting and exercise one does. The inner and outer thighs are two areas that CS can treat effectively and make a difference. For the outer thighs there is a hand piece called CoolSmooth and we have seen wonderful results with this piece in my practice. For the "banana roll" (the area under the buttocks) and inner thighs there are other pieces that could also be effective. At Stillwater Plastic Surgery we assess each patient individually because we customize each treatment. Every body is different. Some patients may benefit best with the CoolSmooth applicator and other patients may benefit most with a combination of other hand pieces for better tone and sculpting. I recommend finding a CoolSculpting Certified Plastic Surgical facility near you and go in for a consult. Choosing a practice should be done based on the quality of care, knowledge, experience, and patient customer service-never price. Keep that in mind when choosing the right practice. From what your wrote in your question, it sounds like you are an ideal candidate. Good Luck to you!

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

The inner and outer thighs are now treatable by NEW CoolSmooth applicators.

Zeltiq recently made available their NEW CoolSmooth applicators for this specific reason. The CoolSmooth applicator applies flat to the surface of the skin in the treated area unlike other applicators from Zeltiq. Without the suction component the company recommends that a cycle be run for two hours instead of one but the results have looked great so far. My recommendation would be that you schedule a consultation with the office of a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about the treatment.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Cool sculpting for thighs

The coolsmooth applicator has allowed Zeltiq to receive FDA approval for saddle bags. It is an effective and safe treatment for appropriate candidates. Physical examination with an experienced physician will allow you to understand if you are an appropriate candidate.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool sculpting treatments lead to permanent fat loss

The CoolSmooth applicator is the appropriate choice for saddle bag treatment.  It does work and sound like that is what you are looking for so give us a call and plan a trip to Austin.