Had 3 C-sections, and breast implants in 2005,want to have a Mommy Makeover,do I need to find a specialist in revisions?(photo)

Hi, I am a 37 year old mother of 3. I am very self conscious about my stomach and would like to get a mommy makeover that would improve my breasts, stomach and butt. But since I have had 3 c-sections and breast implants in 2005. I'm not sure if I need find a doctor who specializes in revision tummy tucks and revision breast augmentation. Also how much should I expect to be charged?

Planning my mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I do not think you need a specialist in revisions because all experienced plastic surgeons have a lot of experience with surgical revision.
  • You need a surgeon who will plan the surgery with you in mind.
  • If you want your buttocks enlarged with fat injections, usually liposuction and fat injection is done first.
  • But if the stomach and breasts are most important for you, then you can have those done first and wait and see if you need the buttocks done later.
  • So first find a plastic surgeon whom you feel you like and can trust, then together come up with the right plan for you - and then you can know the cost.
  • For a general figure, Real Self provides maps of different US areas and the average cost for operations in those areas.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication will be key…

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with mommy makeover surgery. Ultimately careful selection of plastic surgeon, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging), careful measurements (dimensional planning), and skillful execution of the procedure will be critical.

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedures, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Mommy- Makeover

Thank you for the question and photos and I would go on complimentary consultations with experts in your area, be evaluated, compare recommendations, look at photos and compare fees and find your surgeon. Good Luck!

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Had 3 C-sections, and breast implants in 2005,want to have a Mommy Makeover,do I need to find a specialist in revisions?

I think that a revision specialist would be best.

I would try to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of these procedures and who has pictures and reviews you like.

Mommy Makeover, history of breast augmentation and 3 C-sections

It appears you are a perfect candidate for a full TT with mesh reinforcement. Pregnancy typically stretches and damages your internal abdominal wall. This requires not only muscle plication, but reinforcement of some type. A large piece of mesh is placed on the lower half of your tummy to help re-establish a pre-pregnancy state. The mesh acts like an internal girdle that keeps your core tight and flat for years to come. There is no danger in using mesh in this setting because this is how general surgeons have placed mesh to repair hernias for more than 50 years. I'm assuming your breasts are saggy and in need of a lift. However, your photograph is not the best in appreciating this. It would be best if you could submit a true frontal when addressing your breasts so we can get a true view of what they actually look like. Would you like them smaller? Larger? etc? Once your tummy and your breasts are addressed; butts are often accentuated by these changes. In other words, you may be happy how your butt appears. Hoping this helps. 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Where can I go to get a mommy makeover?

You should find a plastic surgeon that has a lot of experience in these procedures. These I usually do in one operation as an outpatient. The recovery usually takes about 2 weeks and it does significantly change your body!! The costs may vary but with those three procedures would be around $14000. We are still offering our election discount and we had tremendous financing available.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question.  It is not necessary to look for a surgeon who specializes in revisions as many plastic surgeons have experience with situations similar to yours.  Discuss your concerns and surgical goals with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  At the appointment a surgical plan can be created and a cost estimate will be provided based on the procedures selected.

Camille Cash, MD

Seek a Board Certified Surgeon for Your Mommy Makeover

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.  The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.

In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. 
Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Mommy makeover after c-sections

Thank you for question! Just by looking at the images you've provided you look to be a fantastic candidate for a full tummy tuck, however it's a little difficult to judge whether or not you need lift with you removal and replacement of your implants. It's best to seek an in-person consultation with a qualified surgeon in your area to go over your options in search of your goals. The link below will be a wonderful starting pointing in helping you find the right one. Good luck! 

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question and photos.

You appear to be an excellent candidate for the procedures you question. A tummy tuck will restore the definition to your abdomen and place the muscles back in anatomic position. The breasts are harder to evaluate do to the perspective of the photos.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and answer your specific questions. As a general rule the more experienced your surgeon is with revisionary surgery the better your overall outcome will be.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon