Do facial fillers such as Voluma,etc, interferes with my mini facelift which I am planing to have done in next six months?

I am going to get a mini/ mid face lift in next six months and wanted to know whether it is advisable to have my fillers done before my surgery or is it best to wait until after my surgery?

Fillers and facelift

First off, it's great to hear that you are addressing both volume changes and gravity changes  as part of your journey. There are very few patients that I will do a facelift on without also doing volume and some variety of skin resurfacing. Our face ages in a very predictable and scientific way, and addressing all of those facets is necessary to get a harmonious, natural outcome.

You will likely hear a different opinion from every doctor about how to address volume along with your facelift. Some may like to do it before, some like to do it after, some may do it at the same time… What that tells you is that there is no right answer to this question. No good science exists to tell us exactly how we should approach this. 

I personally approach it based on the type of filler that I want to do. Something that goes right down on the bone like Voluma or Restylane Lyft can be done before surgery, as the surgery generally does not affect the same planes with which those are injected. In addition, I like to do those first because I am working on a virgin face without any volume alterations as can happen with swelling after your surgery. 

A product like Sculptra can be different, as it is injected in the same plane that many facelifts are performed in, and thus it can cause some changes with the dissection during the facelift and altering the volume. Although I will do this before surgery, I usually reserve some of the treatments for after surgery once the tissue planes are settled.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Do facial fillers such as Voluma, etc, interfere with my mini face lift which I am planning to have done in the next six months?

I would advise not having the fillers injected just prior to your surgery.  The Voluma injection will be more effective if performed at the time of your surgery or a few weeks post op.  If done at this time, your surgeon will be better able to assess the amount and location of the injections.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Fillers Before Surgery

fillers can be done at the same time as surgery, such as fat transfer or others.  There is no risk here although I would suggest not having them done right before your surgery to prevent any infection or swelling issues. Best, Dr. Emer.

Surgery before fillers.

Speaking from how I do things (may not be shared by other Surgeons), I always perform surgery before fillers. This is because surgery address the skin tone, and provides me with a base to work with to enhance your facial features and volume once surgery settles. 

Surgery will address issues such as skin laxity, especially heavy jowl lines, nasolabial folds etc. The volume placement after surgery will be different as your key points and structures would change. Addressing texture, tone (surgery) and volume provides the most natural results. 

regards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser, Surgical, Aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Can I get fillers before my facelift?

In general yes, but it depends on which filler and where and what surgeries you are having. Talk to your surgeon about the this.

Voluma is usually used to get a cheek lift. The injections go down almost to the level of the bone in the cheek. Sometimes you complement it with some more superficial injections of Voluma in the front of the cheek.

The mini facelift targets a different part of your face. The surgeon works in the more lateral part of the face to improve the contour of the face. This is done largely by suspending a layer of the face called the SMAS, which stands for superficial muscular aponeurotic system. Later some skin is removed. The SMAS is more superficial than the area above the bone where voluma is injected.

If you are considering a fat transfer I would recommend avoiding fillers before surgery. During fat transfer your doctor will want to asses where to place the fat to volumize the face. If there is filler in the face, areas that needed fat might be temporarily improved by filler and overlooked for the fat injection.

I hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I have Voluma before a facelift

Hi Los Angeles, Voluma is considered to have better longevity than other fillers. It has been known to last for over a year. If you use Voluma before a facelift, it is possible that the filler will make it more difficult to identify the areas of the face that need to be addressed during a facelift in detail. I will frequently use filler at the same time that I do a facelift as well as using Botox in order to supplement the procedure.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and Plastic Surgery

I would definitely speak to your plastic surgeon about getting fillers.  Many surgeons do not want you go get any injections, including Botox and fillers before the surgery.  Best, Dr. Green