Am I a good candidate for Asian eyelid surgery (and what else)? Anxious and allergic, 40 year old female (Photo)

I'm wondering what I should do to my tiny eyes. On the one hand, for what I do, I need a pair of big eyes which allow me to communicate emotions clearly to others, a purpose the current small size just doesn't fulfill. On the other hand, I have some anxiety issues, occasionally relying on xanex for medical procedures. I was also allergic to external use of bacitracin zinc9 when I removed a mole before. The related infection left a big scar on my arm, which will be a disaster if it's on my eyes.

Anxiety over Asian eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Well, if you weren't at least a little anxious that'd be strange right?  It's surgery after all.  That being said from a physical pain/healing standpoint and medical risk standpoint it's low risk and fairly easy.  HOWEVER, that's a surgeon talking.  From the patient perspective it can be a little scary before surgery.  Typically once we've started even under local anesthesia some of my most nervous patients are doing just fine.  Then there's phases 2 and 3.  The early healing (swelling, bruising, but not much pain) in which all people worry a bit.  Then 3, the late healing (waiting for your final result, etc.).

Most likely if you're looking for a conservative change (you don't even have to have a double eyelid created if you don't want to) you will fair very well.  Just remember it's a process and revisions are always possible.  I revise about 2% of my eyelid surgeries and patient still do well; it's more an inconvenience than a medical issue.

Chase Lay MD

Asian eyelid surgery specialist.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery

Hello there, your eyes are actually very expressive to me from the photo you posted!  In response to your question, there are a few ways to enlarge your eyes and you'd need an in-person evaluation.  Asian blepharoplasty, creation of the supratarsal crease, alone can make your eyes appear larger.  Raising the upper eyelid margin/ ptosis repair can also be done so more of the cornea can be exposed.  If you have thick eyelid skin,  lateral hooding or you have a low brow position, you may benefit from an endoscopic brow lift as well.  It is important that you tell your surgeon that you have anxiety / medication allergy issues and he/she will accommodate your specific concerns accordingly.  There are different kinds of antibiotic ointment that can be applied onto your eyelids.  And in some patients who are allergic to all of them,  vaseline can be used just to keep the incision moist and they typically heal just fine.  Hope that helps.

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD
Mission Viejo Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery with a browlift would give you the most benefit

I would recommend an asian eyelid procedure to place a crease and remove some redundant skin. This may be enough to give you what you want. If you wanted to maximize the results of surgery, I would combine this with a browlift. My personal preference is to use the upper eyelid incision to access the forehead area, then place small incisions in the scalp to allow placement of a dissolvable hook. I use an endoscope at the end of the procedure to confirm the anatomy. Good luck whatever you choose to do!