2 months post Breast Augmentation, implants did not settle. Wise to release the muscle a little more? Advice? (photo)

2 months ago I had breast augmentation 500cc saline under the muscle, implants haven't settled ! So my doctor wants to release the muscle a little more...please bel!

2 months post Breast Augmentation, implants did not settle. Wise to release the muscle a little more?

Breast implants settle over the course of 3-6 months. I would wait until at least six months to consider a revision surgery. The implants will settle more with time and it's best to give them more time before you consider another surgical procedure.

Settle or surgery?

Thank you for your question and photo.  I usually recommend at least 6 months prior to going back to the OR to allow for the implants to settle.  I also instruct patients with high implants to displace/massage the implants.  It's important that the implants be massaged down and toward the bellybutton to prevent too large of a pocket.  I would recommend you re-discuss with your surgeon or seek another opinion with an in-person exam.Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Drop and Fluff

Hello,Large saline implants have a tendency to drop out with time, which is known as the 'water hammer effect', and they certainly settle substantially in the initial 6 months. I would be very hesitant to take you back to the operating room for at least another 3 or 4 months; you might be very surprised where they land on their own. I refer to the act of operating too early on something that fixes itself as 'chasing your tail', and doing so could potentially be very detrimental. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Post Breast Augmentation options

Thank you for asking such an important questions. If your implants are smooth, they will likely settle more over the next few months. My suggestion would be to wait to make any decisions until you are at least 6 months post op. Please be sure to visit your surgeon and address all of your questions and concerns, possibly some more downward massages. Best of luck. Dr. K

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

High implants

It is wise to wait about three months to see how your implant will settle or drop. At that time you should speak with your surgeon and discuss your options. Based on the one picture the implant diameter may be too large for your breast anatomy. The nipple to lower breast crease distance is something that plastic surgeons evaluate during the pre operative stage. This crease sometimes has to be lowered during the procedure in order to accommodate the chosen implant's diameter. It's better usually not to lower the crease and just find an implants that has a smaller diameter but more projected in order to get you to your desired breast size.

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Give it more time

Hello and thank you for your question.  My advice to you is to hang in there, as your breasts will look even better, but you need to be patient as your implants settle. Right now they are squished by the activation of your pectoralis major muscle and tissue swelling due to the inflammatory response after surgery. Once they are in their final position and lower pole of your breasts is not as tight, your breasts will appear even larger and rounder; usually this process occurs as the pectoralis major muscle relaxes and the implants are no longer squeezed upward, and settle into their ideal position. This process usually takes 1-3 months, but can take up to 6 months. Remember that each side may heal or drop and fluff at a different rate. Also, make sure to relay your concerns to your plastic surgeon as most value the patient-doctor relationship and want to be first in line to help their patients. If after 3 months you are still unhappy, you can consider seeking revision with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in revision breast surgery. I hope this helps!
Sincerely, 

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Breast Augmentation 500cc Implant, Implants Too high

Thank you for your question. Your implants do appear to be sitting a bit high still, however you have to remember you are only 2 months post-op. You have a very small frame and used quite a large implant. It will take time for the muscle to stretch. I know it is hard, but you have to give them some time. I would suggest waiting 6 months (4 more months) before considering any revision work. Everything appears normal, so just give them some time.

Implant drop

I'm in agreement with most of the other surgeon's opinions. I would wait and do massage or banding on your upper pole.  If at 6 months the implants haven't fallen then a re-operation is needed. Talk with your surgeon.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

I suggest waiting

Hi, and thank you for your question. 2 months is still early in the post-operative healing process, and 500cc are large implants. Your implants still have a lot of upper pole fullness, but they look like they are positioned well. Revision surgery always comes with risk, so it's important that the benefit outweighs the risk. At this point, I'd continue being patient and wait a few more months to let your tissue relax. 6-9 months is the earliest I would consider a revision.Best of luck,Dr. Weintraub

Implant drop

Hello and thank you for your question. Whilst this is understandably a cause for anxiety and may well require a revision surgery in the future although the fullness of time is not yet upon us. I rarely consider any revision surgery prior to 6 months.

Ross Farhadieh, MBBS, MD, FRACS, FRCS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon