I'm 18 and I think I'm losing hair but my parents keep telling me it's normal. Will my hair grow back? (Photos)

I feel like my im thining so i started using coconut oil, it is better now but i can see mu skin and i'm not sure if that's normal. I also see like 3 to 4 strands of hair every time i run my fingers through them.

Your Hair Line Looks Good

Your hair line looks good and is becoming like a mature adult male. You are likely losing hair and it may be genetic. See your family doctor or dermatologist for a correct diagnosis and possible treatment that does not involve hair transplant surgery. PRP is waste of time in the hair line. See photo link below to help educate yourself for the future.

Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is normal hair loss?

It is within the realm of normal to lose 50 to 100 hairs a day.  However, if you see more scalp and feel you are having hair loss you are probably right.  You know yourself better than anyone.  I recommend you see a hair specialist for hair loss evaluation.  One suggestion is to ask the male member of your family for a photo to see how they looked at the age of 18 in terms of their hair.  Another point is that there are other causes of hair loss other than androgenic alopecia hair loss (male pattern baldness).  Again, see a hair specialist as you may need a microscopic hair evaluation (miniaturization study). Lastly, if it is true male pattern baldness, you need to start finasteride soon as it will help to keep the hair you do have or perhaps reverse it to some extent.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

If you believe you are losing hair and nobody believes you, you can see a doctor.

If you believe you are losing hair and nobody believes you, you can see a doctor.  Losing 3 hairs is normal.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone

I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate your hair loss and start non invasive options like PRP/progesterone or consider transplantation. Best, Dr. Emer

18 and losing hair?

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.
As you are local, visit our office for a free no-cost consultation

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Probable causes for your hair loss

Hello.There are many things that can contribute to your hair loss. It can be genetic, stress related, medical condition. My advise is to visit a  doctor who specializes in hair loss in order to find out the actual cause of your hair thinning. Once the cause for your hair loss is determined we can decide what is the best treatment to follow to prevent the hair loss to advance and restore it.Treatments like PRP and laser therapy as well as medication are the most common solutions, but it all depends on the reason for your hair thinning.

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

What to do when you think you're thinning?

When a patient thinks they are thinning, more times than not, the patient is right. But keep in mind there are many causes of thinning. If you are concerned, be sure to see a physician who can guide you.