I'm 2 weeks after my breast augmentation and worried about my left breast. (photo)

I'm 2 weeks post op and at my 1week check up my PS told me I have a hematoma under my left breast but he doesn't seem worried at all. Since then the hematoma has gotten bigger and now my incision under my left breast looks infected. I'm getting very worried at this point. Also can't get an appointment to see my PS for another week. Please help.

You should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon immediately.

Thank you for your question and photo. Infection after breast augmentation can be dangerous and should not be taken lightly. It’s difficult to tell the likelihood of infection from your photo alone. I suggest calling your plastic surgeon’s office and making an appointment for a follow-up examination. In the meantime, keep in mind that 2 weeks post-op is still very early in the recovery process and your breasts still have much healing to do. Best of luck.

I'm 2 weeks after my breast augmentation and worried about my left breast.

I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

I'm 2 weeks after my breast augmentation and worried about my left breast

You should address your questions and concerns to surgeon.

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hematoma after breast augmentation

I am sorry for your difficulties after surgery! There is nothing about your picture that is concerning to me. I don't see a hematoma or obvious infection. That being said, any patient of mine with an enlarging breast or enlarging hematoma would be evaluated in 12hr or less. Please contact your PS and express your concerns again. Best of luck!

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Though your incision looks fairly appropriate for being two weeks after surgery your description of an enlarging hematoma should be evaluated by your PS immediately as these often require surgical intervention.  I would strongly voice your concerns to your surgeon's office for an appointments sooner rather than later. 

Demand to be seen by your operative surgeon if you are so concerned. Or pay for another in person second opinion from a local PS to your area. 

Patient Problem

The words enlarging hematoma and possible breast implant infection are quite disconcerting to me, I would have a patient concerned about either entity to be seen immediately. It's hard to believe that a conscientious plastic surgeon would wait a week to discern whether or not either of these two entities where possible. If the surgeon is a way, in a busy cosmetic surgery plastic surgery practice, I would think there would be a surgical assistant or nurse that can evaluate you. If not, there should be another physician covering the practice. I would recommend that you call back and explain the situation to the person on the phone and asked to speak to somebody from the clinical side of the practice. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation - worried about enlarging hematoma

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • I agree with you that there is a serious problem if your breast is enlarging after an augmentation.
  • Please call your surgeon's office and tell them that you need to be seen urgently -
  • A conscientious plastic surgeon would not have you wait a week -
  • S/he would see you at the first opportunity - usually within 24 hours.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS