Can wearing a cap regularly after FUE affect growth or do damage?

I am now over 3 weeks post op FUE.For the first 2 weeks I took very good care and everything went well and healed great. I am back in work now and work a lot with the public so I want to keep my scalp hidden . Is it ok to wear a cap for a full day in work occasionally taking it off to let the scalp breath?could this affect growth or am I just overthinking?

Wearing a hat after a hair transplant

I routinely give our patients a hat to wear after a hair transplant. I make sure that the hat does not rub on either the FUE donor sites which should be healed after 5-7 days, or the recipient sites. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hat after surgery

You should be fine to wear a hat at this stage. After day 7-10 the graft are safe to touch. I like to avoid motorcycle helmets which may rub the grafts for the first 2-3 weeks. 

Edward Ball, MRCS
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Wearing a Hat Three Weeks after FUE Hair Transplant #neograft #hairtransplant

• You should be just fine wearing a hat three weeks after hair transplant.
  • We ask our patients to be careful about putting pressure on the grafts for the first 10 days, but by now you have nothing to worry about.

Wearing a cap after hair transplant

Wearing a cap 3 weeks after hair transplant will not effect the growth results.  At this point the grafts have been 'seeded' and have now entered into their dormant state.  Grafts receive their nutrition form the blood supply to the scalp.

Effect of wearing a hat on #hairtransplant result

We don't recommend wearing a tight hat right after the procedure, however if it has been a while since you had your hair transplant done then Wearing a cap will not effect the hair growth. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

No problem

You are just overthinking. Very common after a hair transplant so nothing to worry about. Wearing a cap is so benign that we actually give our patients hats to wear before they leave the office directly after a hair transplant procedure. The grafts are in the skin and being nourished from underneath, they do not need sunlight or even direct "air" to heal well and thrive. The benefits of having a vascular system. So don't worry. In fact, wearing a hat helps to protect the grafts and the skin from the sun since sun exposure can be detrimental to both in the first few months after a procedure.
Best of luck and growth.
Dr. Feller
Great Neck, NY

Alan S. Feller, DO
Great Neck Hair Restoration Surgeon

You are probably "over thinking" as there should be no issue wearing hats after surgery. Only exception would be wearing

You are probably "over thinking" as there should be no issue wearing hats after surgery. Only exception would be wearing the hat so tight it causes traction.  If you are concerned follow up with your doctor.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon