What type of rhinoplasty is best for my bulbous nose and what would be the level of difficulty? (Photo)

I have a slight hump and very bulbous tip which I feel overwhelms the sides of my nose and also droops especially when I am smiling. I would like for the very tip of my nose not to droop as much and would also like the bulbous "ball shape" to be reduced in size and the hump on the bridge shaved down what approach would be best and what would be the level of difficulty ?

Rhinoplasty candidate for bulbous and droopy tip repair

The rhinoplasty procedure is one of the hardest procedure to perform in the field of cosmetic surgery, so it is best to find a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to obtain  the best results possible. The bulbous tip is addressed with suture techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages, and sometimes a conservative cartilage removal when they are excessively wide. The dorsal hump can be shaved down to  give a more refined profile. The droopy tip when smiling is addressed with releasing the depressor septi ligament. For many examples more information, please see the link  below

Bulbous tip reduction in rhinoplasty

For a nose with a bulbous tip, I believe the best way to reduce the size is with reduction of the lateral crura with support to the remaining cartilage.  This approach may also require repositioning of the lateral crura and possibly alar rim grafts.  

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

Bulbous tip

Thank you for your inquiry!

It seems that you are a good candidate for a rhinoplasty that will improve the way your nose looks to complement your facial features in a natural fashion. Your nasal bridge as well as the tip will be addressed harmoniously. However, without a physical examination it is not possible to provide you with specific details. I highly recommend that you schedule a consultation with a well-experienced surgeon.

It is important to mention that the finest cosmetic results in any particular case are based on a variety of factors, including: the unique anatomy of the patient, realistic expectations, a well-informed and detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon concerning the best options for you especially covering a deep understanding of the pros and cons of any given choice you will adopt.

Please keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon online who offers to tell you what to do without a physical examination covering the nature and the status of the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative solution would not be in your best interest. With that in mind, it is the safest and for your best interest to find a plastic surgeon with solid experience and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons that you will trust and be comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Good luck!!!

Ali Sajjadian, MD FACS

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

What type of rhinoplasty is best for my bulbous nose and what would be the level of difficulty?

You can have a more refined nose that is natural in appearance. I perform these surgeries with closed technique to preserve the structure of the nose and minimize visible scarring.