Is Surgery Abroad Necessary? Breast revision needed

2 years ago I had a breast reduction in LA. I travelled from Ireland all the way to a recommended surgeon. I will now need a breast revision as disappointed with results. Are surgeons in USA better than a surgeons in Ireland? I'm under the impression, cosmetic surgery is more popular in the USA and therefore surgeons have more experience in dealing with different scenarios. I'm just anxious to choose the right surgeon this time to deliver optimum results.

Medical Tourism

There are excellent surgeons in many parts of the world. Outside of the U.S. local regulations regarding medical care and patient safety may not be as stringent as they are here. Before going abroad it is critical that you fully understand the type of care that you'll be receiving and in what type of facility. Also (and very important) in the event of a complication, who will care for you and how? What facilities are available? Will your insurance offer any coverage at that location?

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and special skill in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Breast revision?

Photos would be helpful to guide your revision surgery.  In the meantime...this is not an easy question to answer because this scenario is so varied.  There are great surgeons around the world not just in the USA.  How about London? How about Paris? I am sure you will find good surgeons closer to home.  Good luck.  
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Quality of plastic surgery worldwide?

It's difficult to answer your question however there are qualified surgeons in most countries and large cities around the world.  The question of course is how you work to discover a "good one."  Reputation, photos, disposition all contribute but don't be hasty until you are confident in your choice.
In your case I think it is important that you get a copy of your operative report to determine the type of breast reduction procedure that you underwent.  The circulation to your nipple area needs to be preserved and knowing the details of the initial surgery can be very important.
Sorry for your disappointment and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Board certified is best

You want your surgeon to be board certified by the American board of Plastic Surgery.  Very important to go to the best....board certification is the best way to know.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD

Revision

Make sure of the qualifications prior to undergoing the knife. Not sure of the standard of care in Ireland 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Surgery

I am sure there are good surgeons in Ireland. Without having more details about your previous surgery, it is difficult to suggest what might be possible for you. Best of luck.

Breast reduction revision

I agree with you that cosmetic surgery is more popular in the United States. Consequently, we have more experience performing these procedures on a regular basis. Not sure why you bypassed the east coast to go to Los Angeles for surgery but you have many choices here. Best wishes.