Can somebody explain the difference between a septorhinoplasty and a full rhinoplasty? (photo)

OK so my doctor suggested a septorhinoplasty which is less expensive than a full rhinoplasty (I assumed I was a candidate for a full!).. Good news on the price front but can somebody explain the difference to me!!?? Thank you!

Septorhinoplasty vs. Full Rhinoplasty Definition

A septorhinoplasty involves not only improving the appearance of the outside of the nose (rhinoplasty portion), but also involves correcting the septum, which is the partition between the nostrils as it extends up into the nose (septoplasty portion).  A septoplasty is typically performed when the patient has difficulty breathing.  A full rhinoplasty would involve only the external appearance of the nose including the nasal tip, the bridge of the nose, and often the width of the nose.  

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Terminology Definitions

Thanks for your question. Rhinoplasty is the term used to describe external, cosmetic changes to the nose. Septoplasty is the term used to describe correction of a deviated nasal septum internally, to improve a person's nasal airway. Often these two surgeries are performed on the same patient at the same time, hence the shorter combined phrase, septorhinoplasty is used to simplify this situation. Basically, a septorhinoplasty is a "full" rhinoplasty, so don't be confused. The fee and pricing issues may be related to insurance benefits and coverage for professional services involving both cosmetic and functional surgery in your particular region. Hope this short explanation helps clarify these terms. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

The asymmetry at the base of your nose may be due to a deviated nasal septum, commonly fixed at the time of rhinoplasplasty.

Your photos appear to reveal a wide nasal appearance with a crooked appearance at the base of your nose. Your nasal tip appears overprojected and under-rotated. Goals of surgery may be achieving a straighter, narrower nasal appearance, with narrowing and lifting of your nasal tip so you may achieve a less distracting and more feminine nasal appearance. I am not familiar with the difference between septorhinoplasty and full rhinoplasty. Hope this helps.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon