Rhinoseptoplasty; I was advised by the consultants assistant Doctor to remove the outer cast today?

Hi I had a rhinoseptoplasty done on the 24th August. I was advised by the consultants assistant Doctor to remove the outter cast today Sunday 28th but I'm too scared to and don't know how much shall I leave it on to my appointment on Tuesday 30th to get the inner splints removed.

4 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Nasal splint off 4 days post-op?

Every surgeon's routine is different, but I have found that leaving the splint on longer reduces the risk of inadvertent damage to the still-healing tissues, thereby reducing re-do surgery or scar tissue requiring steroid injection.

Furthermore, leaving it on longer hurts nothing. So follow your intuition here--it is perfectly fine to wait! Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Splint removal

It is best to ask your surgeon what he prefers.  I normally keep them on for about a week.  Best of luck.

Septorhinoplasty cast

Thank you for your question.I feel it would be best for a medical professional to remove the cast. Seeing as your appointment with the doctor is only a day away I would just keep the cast on until you see the doctor and have them remove it. You don’t want to cause any damage by removing it incorrectly or too vigorously etc. Best to speak/see you doctor whenever possible during your post operative recovery.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Splint removal after septorhinoplasty

Thanks for the question.  You do not have to worry about splint removal before your appointment on the 30th.  I routinely remove nasal splints at postoperative day five.  Splints have a few roles in septorhinoplasties;  they decrease postoperative swelling by allowing for some external pressure, they provide some external stabilization of the nasal bones and cartilage framework which have been altered by the surgery, and they provide external protection from injury or manipulation of the nose in the vulnerable immediate postoperative period.  Having the splint for a few extra days will not have any detrimental effects on your result.