Is this a permanent stitch after making its way to the top? (photos)

I am 25 days post op. One part of my scab fell off yesterday to reveal what looks like a white string. I also have two smaller ones in my belly button & one of the end of each of my incision lines, but these feel more like wire. I got my surgery abroad but have booked into my own doctors tomorrow to get checked. Do these need to be removed? Also I have left very light headed when standing the last few days. I don't drink a lot of water so do you think it's this or blood loss? No other symptoms

These are stiches

There should be no issue with taking out these stitches when you see local doctor tomorrow.  Many issues can cause light headiness.  It will require checkup.

Spitting sutures

Thanks for your inquiry, it looks like you are spitting suture, they are coming out instead of dissolving.  I hope your primary care doctor can help you, otherwise you would need to find a surgeon nearby, good luck.  

Suture issue

It looks like some sutures erupted through the skin. Your surgeon seeing you in person will likely trim them off. Best of luck.

Is this a permanent stitch after making its way to the top?

The suture appears to be an absorbable type. It can easily be removed. You should heal well without problems.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Exposed suture

It does appear to be a suture that has become exposed.  You should return to your plastic surgeon to have it removed.

Spitting suture

From the photos you supplied, this appears to be what we call a spitting suture. Your plastic surgeon can remove these sutures quite easily. Your plastic surgeon can also recommend good scar and wound care to facilitate healing of this incision. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Spitting stitches and medical tourism

That white stitch looks like a piece of vicryl, which is absorbable.  They often spit out so that is not a problem.  The clear one that feels like wire is also absorbable and looks like monocryl.  All of these will eventually be removed.

With respect to your lightheadedness, that is a question you should ask your surgeon.  However, since you chose not to have your surgery at home, who will you ask?

Having surgery abroad is a set-up for problems of this nature. You need to see a plastic surgeon, but did not trust the surgeons that work diligently in your area to provide care to their patients. The surgeon that you did choose has no ability and probably no interest in taking care of their postoperative patients because they know you are not going to fly back to where they are to seek out care. So now what? Bring the problems of another surgeon to the local doctor who you did not allow to treat you and expect that they will take care of the postoperative complications? Or go back where you had your surgery and require that the surgeon that did the surgery take responsibility for their work?

Yes removal of any exposed suture is best. But you will have to pay a fee because you went out of country... 

I appreciate your question.

I am glad to hear you booked an appointment to see a plastic surgeon locally tomorrow.  That is the best thing to do, since there has been a change in your post op course and so he/she can recommend most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Speak to your plastic surgeon

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should go see your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon