I've had Liposuction 8 weeks ago. During the procedure my bowel was perforated, and now I have a very painful seroma.

Due to the perforation I was unable to wear the compression garment. I am still in hospital as I have a very high output stoma and a single kidney. Doctors are treating me for the seroma pain and I am waiting to have a CT scan. I have two questions please. ....what would you prescribe for the pain as it is severe..? How do I get rid of the seroma or how long will I have it for...? Many thanks to you.

Liposuction - need advice on complications

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • This is a terrible complication - I am so sorry you are going through this.
  • Seromas after liposuction can usually be treated with repeated aspirations - removal with a needle done 2-3 x a week until fluid stops forming - or by placing a such drain.
  • Pain management cannot be done on-line -- your own surgeons need to be the ones to help you.
  • Seromas are not typically painful - ask your surgeons to have the radiologist who does the CT scan do an aspiration of seroma fluid for cultures, to be sure the seroma is not infected.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Pain Meds

Severe pain in the hospital is generally treated with opioids such as morphine.  A seroma will need a drain to remove the excess fluid until the amount of fluid diminishes.  A stoma will need your doctors input on its treatment and closure.Best wishes that you continue to get better.

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon