I am due to have FUE treatment done in two weeks time. My problem is that I have a very important football match 5 days later.

Would I be able to play in this match? If I did play what would be the risk and possible side affects?

Wait at least 10 days after an FUE procedure before playing contact sports

I performed a study to answer a simple question, one that patients ask all the time: at what point are transplanted grafts so securely anchored in the scalp that they cannot be dislodged?

In the study, it was found that after 10 days the transplanted grafts become a permanent part of the body such that no amount of scrubbing or combing can dislodge them.

So, while there are generally no limitations on strenuous exercise after a FUE procedure, we recommend waiting at least 10 days before playing any contact sport, like football, as the grafts could be dislodged if vigorously rubbed.

I wouldn't recommend

I would not recommend playing football 5 days after a hair restoration procedure.  This is about the time that the grafts are establishing their own vascular supply and are still very fragile.  Not only can the contact sport damage the follicles, wearing a football helmet with the repeated trauma is bad for the grafts. Its better you either change your surgery or sit out for the football match.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

No

General light exercise may be OK in 5 days but football is rough contact sport.  Ask your doctor

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Football match 5 days after FUE transplant

I would postpone the surgery as hitting your head, using a helmet and rubbing the donor area might cause bleeding. Alsway use common sense and don't expose your head, recipeint area or donor area with open wounds on it to head trauma. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Football after a FUE Hair Transplant

I don't recommend playing football 5 days after a hair transplant procedure.  You should either change the time of procedure or cancel the football match.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Activity after an FUE transplant

This should be minimal but it depends on the size of the case and the device used i.e Neograft vs Artas.  You should ask your doctor for your situation. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Football (soccer) after a transplant

I presume you will not be be playing American football where a protective helmut is worn. You should either cancel the football match or cancel the hair transplant.  Heading the ball could very likely ruin your 5 day old transplant. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon