I am a 50 yo female. I have a red spot on my face. I think it is broken capillaries, but now a brown freckle/mole has appeared

I am a 50yo fe mail , freckl/mole is dark brown , irregular shaped, flat & about 4 mm it just appeared in the last week should I be concerned ?

Spot on face

If this area is very small the whole area may be removed with a punch biopsy where the area is removed with a circular cutting tool and stitched closed. The tissue can then be submitted to the laboratory to confirm that the lesion is benign. The broken blood vessel can easily be removed with cautery or laser.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

What about a new dark brown lesion?

Whenever we notice  new dark growth, especially if it looks very different from other pigmented lesions like moles, it is important to rule out a malignancy. Sometimes a biopsy shoes dysplasia or atypical cells, and these are sometimes considered premalignant. An experienced physician can help determine if a biopsy is necessary. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diagnosis before treatment

That is the Golden Rule. We must know what we are treating before treating it, as this could be a cancerous lesion. Sometimes the diagnosis is easy, other times a biopsy must be taken to exclude nasties before laser. 
All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser Dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

New Brown Spot on the Face

Please consult a board certified dermatologist to assess if it is a sun spot or benign lesion or a melanoma that needs surgical treatment.

Brown spots and red spots on face

Go to a board certified dermatologist who specializes in cosmetic laser procedures.  It is always important to know that the lesions are benign/age related before treatment.  I had one lady recently who came in for a persistent brown spot already treated in the past.  I started with a biopsy and determined it to be a superficial melanoma.  Reds and browns are easily treated with laser energy.  I have both the Excel V  as well as BBL, a more advanced form of IPL and use each on a daily basis.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial lesions

Hello,It seems that you have 2 concerns, a red facial lesion that could be a benign angioma,or telangiectasis, which could easily be removed with a Laser or IPL. As for the new brown spot on your face, as a dermatologist, we always recommend that patients see a dermatologist if they develop new ,dark irregularly shaped lesions. A dermatologist will certainly be able to help you further, examining the lesion with a dermatoscope and she/he may then wish to take a small biopsy for further analysis.Hope this helps. Cheers.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Red Capillaries and brown spots

I concur with Dr. Halper, this sounds benign however have it examined and then a laser treatment such as IPL or Intense Pulsed Light would be the ideal treatment for your condition.  IPL treats both benign brown pigmentation and red capillaries both of which are usually considered 'sun damage'.  IPL is a fairly low downtime procedure which results in more even skin tone, better texture and improvement if not complete resolving of the broken capillaries.  Usually a series of 2-4 treatments a month apart is recommended as well as use of a broad spectrum sunscreen following the procedure.  Good luck!

Mole and Red Spots/Vessels On Face

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist there are various lasers that can treat both of these in combination.  I do both on the same day.  Best, Dr. Emer.

New brow spot and ? red spot

I wish that you would have submitted a close up photo. This most likely is a sun spot or solar lentigo which is easily treated by freezIng with liquid nitrogen.
there are also other methods of treatment which include chemical peels, lightening agents and lasers including intense pulsed light. You should consult with a dermatologist to make sure that it is not an atypical mole or something that may be serious. A dermatologist would be able to tell if it needs to be biopsied prior to treatment .
i wish you good luck.

Red capillaries and new brown spot

This sounds like benign sun damage however the brown spot should be examined by a dermatologist. If it is atypical,they will want to remove it and evaluate it under the microscope. If it looks harmless then they will be able to offer you laser or peels to improve the appearance. 

Shelley Halper, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon