Gyno return so soon! (photo)

I recently had gyno surgery in the first week of October. The last 7-10 days a lump had come out of knowwhere and is growing / getting bigger. The area is sensitive again and feel similar to before. The lump seems harder than before but looks like my previous gyno. I've attached a picture of my before, post op and current pics. As you can see its developed quote rapid in the last few days hence me thinking it can't be scare tissue. Could this be scare tissue or most likely a return.

Fullness After Gyne Surgery

Quick return of fullness would most likely be fluid collection to that area. Please contact your plastic surgeon for an evaluation. 

Gyno return so soon!

Return of fullness in such an early stage could represent fluid collection. Contact your plastic surgeon and get evaluated.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Gyno return so soon!

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  After two months much of your postoperative healing and swelling from surgery should have resolved and I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation for a diagnosis.  This could be activity related swelling from having increased your chest and arm motions, a fluid collection, or retained gynecomastia tissue.  Hope this helps.

Lump Has Appeared Post-Op

BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal.

NUMBNESS: It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding.

LUMPINESS: As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.

ACTIVITIES: If your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause pain. Wait at least 4 weeks to begin aerobic exercise.

As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first several days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.

If you find that you are worried or concerned at all about this lump, it is definitely best to visit your plastic surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that the healing process is going well. Best of luck.

Gynecomastia return

It is doubtful that there is early regrowth of the glandular tissue behind the nipple. What I sometimes see is that true gynecomastia is sometimes treated with only  liposuction and when there is swelling present the feel of the retro  areolar glandular tissue is  masked. Once the swelling resolves, if this true breast tissue has not been excised, the patient may then feel it. My procedure almost always involves both liposuction and some degree of excision done through the peri-areolar margin approach. I recommend you follow-up with your chosen plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast lump following Gynecomastia surgery

Thank you for your question. You are very early in the healing process following your Gynecomastia surgery and it is extremely unlikely that you are experiencing a regrowth of breast tissue. Your "lump" is most likely residual scar tissue which will soften and subside over time. If you have continued concerns or questions, be sure to contact your board-certified plastic surgeon's office. 

Did Gyne come back?

Hi JayF1986,

Thanks for the post and photo. It is very early in the healing phase for you and it is unlikely that you have a recurrence in the breast tissue growth. Refer to the link I have attached. It is likely to be scar tissue, but I would contact your plastic surgeon and get evaluated.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD