How many grafts would I need and what type of hair loss do I have? What is the cost of hair transplant? (Photo)

Am I a good doner for a hair transplant I have attached photos of hair

Photos cannot assess if you would be a "good" candidate for surgery. Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.

Photos cannot assess if you would be a "good" candidate for surgery.  Usually this involves seeing a doctor in person.  A person with your hair loss pattern may be happy with 3000 grafts but you may not be.  It has to do with expectations and goals. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You have a Class 6 or possibly a Class 7 balding pattern

You have a Class 6 or possibly a Class 7 balding pattern and that means that you most probably do not have enough hair for full coverage. You need to find out your donor density and consider a combination of hair transplants and scalp micropigmentation

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplant considerations

You likely have 6000-6500 harvestable scalp donor follicles over your lifetime based on the pictures provided.  Any more than that and the donor region will begin appearing thinner and more sparse. 

However you do have light hair and light skin, and the lack of contrast is in your favor as you can proceed with a lower density transplant and have it look the same as someone with higher density but with light skin and dark hair. 

For moderate to full density you'll likely require 3400 grafts to cover the frontal 8 cm of your scalp (zones 1-2).  Another 3000 to cover zones 3-4 with light to moderate coverage. 

Need to be very judicious with the use of your donor region and only use the most experienced clinic.  If the transection rate in your case is high, it won't leave you with enough grafts to address zone 3 and your crown.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

There's no "best" way

for your situation, it depends on what you want to do. It looks like you have typical male pattern balding, but you need an in person evaluation. As for how many grafts you need, it may take 1800 grafts to thicken the hairline and forelock, or 3000 to cover everything.  But you only have a limited number of hairs you can use. As for the best technique, all have pros and cons. I prefer the ARTAS FUE system because it produces high quality grafts without a long scar on the back of you head. Pricing is all over the board too. In my area, ARTAS is the same price as FUT, so there's really no drawback. Goodbye luck!!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon