FUE treatment; the rest of my hair on top is very thin, will that also be treated?

Hi Hair Transplant Docs Quick question hopefully someone can help me out, I have thinning hair and am more than likely going to get an FUE, The crown is very thin, nearly bald, and hairline is receding,so obviously they are the treatment areas. My questions is, the rest of my hair on top is very thin, will that also be treated? Ideally if it were up to me I would request the whole of the top of the head to be thickened, but i know as a patient we must go with what the Dr says. Thanks Frencherer

FUE Planning

That depends on a couple of factors, most importantly the status of your donor area. If you have a lot of hair there can be used in transplants, you could get a whole head of hair on top. But if it's small or not as dense, you may only have enough to effectively help with the hairline and crown. Also your age and if you are still actively thinning affect this too, because if you are going to lose more hair it would be a good idea to save some hairs from the donor area for later uses. If you start conservatively you can always add more later, but if you overharvest the donor area that's a lot harder to fix.

Santa Monica Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE is just a harvesting method. It does not relate to results. If you want to keep your hair very short you may want the FUE

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Treatment areas

When a patient has the hair loss pattern your describing, I make certain they understand supply and demand of donor.  The donor is a limitation of hair that must be managed throughout the patients life time.  In transplant you move the hair selectively without over harvesting to ensure a patient has enough donor for a second procedure. When a patient has loss in the front, top and crown.  I recommend we start in the front, creating a hairline and you can likely move back, donor pending, placing hair in the top.  Most  patients will not have donor in to add density, in a way that you would truly appreciate, to all three areas in one procedure. My recommendation is to place the grafts in the areas that most change your appearance: the front and top. 

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplants for thinning hair

I am assuming that you are a male. Areas that are balding or bald are best treated with hair transplants but for thinning areas, hair transplants are not the only option. Scalp micropigmentation works well on thinning areas and it is not a surgical procedure. See below

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon