I got implant 9 years ago I was told I'd never have to get them replaced but the have ruptured?

I got implant 9 years ago I was told I'd never have to get them repaced but the have ruptured should the clinic I got them replace them for free or should I pay

Implants are not forever

A breast implant is a device and devices can fail through no fault of he surgeon.  Saline deflates at approximately 1-2 % per year.  Silicone has a leak rate, but exact numbers are hard to come by as the devices are relatively new.  Device failure is generally presented as part of informed consent.  Most manufactures to supply some warranty support to offset expected Surgeon and OR charges.

Boise Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. Yes, there will certainly be charges associated with the revisionary breast surgery.

For the benefit of patients seeking breast augmentation surgery in the future: it is wise of you to think about the longer-term effects of undergoing breast augmentation surgery.

Generally speaking, there is no time limit as to when or if you need to exchange your breast implants. I have heard from patients that they have heard that breast implants need to be changed every 10 years. ***The only reason you need to exchange your breast implants is if you are having a problem with them or if you would like to change the size. Some of the potential complications that may arise would be deflation, capsular contracture, bottoming out, or just size change. If you are happy with the size of your breast implants and are having no problems, you do not need to do anything.

Breast implants are not considered permanent and may need to be replaced. Check with your surgeon if they had a warranty from the manufacturer. You are responsible for any costs associated with replacement. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Implant rupture

Thank you for your question.  Implants do not last forever and may need to be replaced at some point.  Implant manufacturers provide a warranty on their implants.  I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can assist you in getting your implants replaced.  Your surgeon's office will communicate with your implant manufacturer to determine what is covered under your warranty.  You can also look up your warranty if you know the manufacturer.  Hope this helps.

Breast augmentation question

Hello

breast implants do not last forever. Nothing does. Having said that, implants do carry a lifetime warranty against rupture or failure. This is from the manufacturer, not the doctor. 

The manufacturer will replace the implant for free, but there will likely be a charge from the doctor / surgery facility. 

This is something you need to discuss directly with them. 

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon