Botox on cheeks; should this be done?

I got my forehead, crows feet done and the doctor injected. MY cheeks . Should this be done ?

Botox on cheeks; should this be done?

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  If placed along the lower crow's feet or upper cheeks this is commonly done.  Below the level of the cheek concern for paralyzing a muscle responsible for facial animation is a possibility and should not be performed.  Hope this helps.

Cheek Botox - only in masseter area

The only area of the cheeks that is safe for Botox is the masseter area. This is the jaw muscle and it should be fairly low on the face. If your upper cheek was injected, this can only lead to smile problems.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for cheeks

this is an  off label use and we do not use Botox in these areas in our practice. 

I recommend you to discuss specific issues regarding your questions with your dermatologist. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox in the cheeks?

Thank you so much for your question. I have also not injected Botox into the cheeks. I do inject Botox into the bottom of the Crow's feet and I am guessing this could be the area you're speaking about?? Speak with your injector about the goals of this injection. Best, 

Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Botox & Cheeks

Dear deidre928:

Cheeks are not a common area to have Botox injected into.  Please discuss with your injector on 2 week follow up.  Best wishes.

Botox in cheeks

Thank you so much for your question.  I have never injected a patient's cheeks with botox for cosmetic purposes, but I have injected the masseter muscle located in the jaw area to help patients who suffer from TMJ pain.  I am not sure what the goal is for injecting your cheeks, but when you see your injector again, just ask what he/she is trying to accomplish.  Most often, Botox is used in the upper 1/3 of the face, but can be administered around the mouth and chin area to achieve certain results, as well.  Hope this is helpful and I am wishing you so much joy on your journey!

Remus Repta, MD

Botox and Cheeks

It is not clear what area you are referring to. Botox is used for lines of facial movement. Some patients get Botox to reduce the size of their masseter muscle. This helps to contour the angle of jaw. If your upper cheek was injected it can lead to smile problems.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Cheeks Not Typically Injected, But Areas Nearby

Strictly speaking, cheeks are not commonly injected with Botox.  Very unique situations have been described where cheek Botox has been used effectively and these include excessive cheek sweating and excessive flushing in the cheeks.  However, these are both very rare and highly specific applications of the medication and should only be undertaken with knowledge and experience.  Parts of the face that may be confused with the cheek include the lower portion of the lateral canthal region (crow’s feet), and lower eyelid, and the jawline or masseter muscle.  It would be best to discuss your goals of treatment with your injector at your next follow up session.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox and Cheeks

Botox can be safely used in the areas of the forehead and crow's feet.  However, I would not put Botox in the cheek after except for the masseter muscle.  The facial nerve runs over the cheek area and can appear to droop if placed there.  Please consult an expert in Botox for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox on cheeks; should this be done?

Hello and thank you for posting your question! Botox is great for treating crow's feet and forehead lines, as you mentioned. When we moved downward, into the mid face region where our cheeks are, Botox is not the best product. Botox placed down in this area can cause temporary paralysis of muscles we do not wish to cause paralysis to. Hope this helps! Best, Justin Harper, MD. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician