13 days post labiaplasty-split stitches, pain, redness, do you think there is an infection? (photos)

I had a labiaplasty done in November last year however the two sides weren't even so I got a revision done on the 11th of May and everything was healing well until Friday the 19th-that's when I noticed the sutures have come apart (most of them got dissolved) and there is a split in my right labia. Will it heal back together or will I need another revision? Also I noticed some redness and pain when sitting down and sometimes when walking, do you think there is an infection?

13 days after revision labiaplasty

As you mentioned, the labia were asymmetric; therefore needed more sutures placed on the right side resulting in more swelling. The area where the minor separation occurred is at the end of the suture line where a suture knot was placed. Once the swelling resolves, you should be able to see symmetry between both labia minora. As to the separation, it should heal well especially after the sutures dissolve and appropriate handling of this area takes place. I would follow your surgeon's instructions and be patient since based on the images you provided, the outcome of the revision procedure will most likely be satisfactory.

Yvonne Wolny, MD

13 days after revision labiaplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yvonne Wolny, MD

13 days post labiaplasty-split stitches, pain, redness, do you think there is an infection?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your recovery difficulties.  I agree that a portion of your incision site has separated as a result of the sutures dissolving or having pulled through the tissues and local wound care should be undertaken to allow the tissues to heal on their own.  Only time will tell but in many instances the resultant scar is very acceptable to patients.  After 3-4 months you can review your results to see if any adjustments may be needed.  Hang in there!

Revision surgery

Dear Sandrix 93:

It does not appear to be infected but it is really best to check and send these photos to your surgeon.  There is a good chance the incision will heal on its own.  There might be a slight lopsided appearance due to a widened scar on the right labia.  Then again it may heal beautifully. This incision just needs to heal.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Revision surgery

Dear Sandrix 93:

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

What to do about labiaplasty scar separation?

A small separation will heal and shrink slightly. It doesn't appear infected, but a photo isn't as accurate as an in person exam. Keep it clean and see your surgeon. Time will tell whether the area needs any revision.