My transplanted hair fell recently all of a sudden. Will it grow or not?

Hi, I had the FUE operation almost two months back. My transplanted hair did not fall until recently and I am very worried about the success of the operation. Actually, My questions is that whether my transplanted hair will grow of not, especially I am using Minoxidil prescribed by my doctor and I am suffering from oily scalp.

Will transplanted hair shed following a procedure grow back?

The short answer is yes, if the FUE procedure was performed properly by an experienced surgeon with experienced technicians, then what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Following a hair transplant, the transplanted follicles often shed their hairs. Unlike nail beds, which make our fingernails for the duration of our lives, hair follicles make hair in cycles. The timing of the cycles is as follows:

Anagen (growing phase): 2-7 years
Catagen (short phase before resting phase): 2-3 weeks
Telogen (resting phase): 3-8 months

The stress of the FUE hair transplant can trigger a portion of the follicles to come out of the anagen phase of growth and enter catagen, followed by 3-8 months of telogen. The hairs re-enter the anagen, or growing phase, after 3-8 months. So, the follicles that shed their hairs as a result of the transplant typically return by 8 months. At only 2 months following your procedure, your follicles have passed through the 2-3 week long Catagen phase, and the follicles are likely in the Telogen phase of growth. The hair will typically start to thicken and return in months 3-8 following the procedure. It’s important to understand that every day is going to be a little different as your hair grows in, and you can’t really say you have your “final results” until 11 or 12 months. So, rest easy, and wait on the growth. I know it won’t be easy, but taking monthly pictures of your hair growing in will help you track its progress, as that is difficult when you’re looking at yourself every day.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair growth after transplant

The hair shaft usually falls off with the scabs, however the follicle remains under the skin. The follicle will grow through its own intrinsic cycle of growth and will eventually begin to grow in after three months and will continue to grow for up to 18 months after the procedure. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Time will tell

In general, it is normal to lose most of your transplanted hair.  New hairs will start to grow months after surgery.  This time frame is variable but in general, it takes about 6 months to see growth.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted hair fell out in the first two months

This is normal. I wold not worry about hair growth which you should expect to appear 5-8 months following the transplant. Good luck and don't worry.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Loss of Transplanted Hair

What you are describing is actually quite normal and in line with average expected time frames.

The signs of new hair growth are not expected to appear until about month four following the operation. When the follicles are extracted and transferred to a new location, this is very traumatic, causing them to enter a resting phase known as telogen. The hair shafts will fall out to prepare for a new growth cycle. And the first manifestations usually begins to appear around the fourth month.

But being in month two, what you are experiencing is quite normal. And you can expect to see more improvements around the next couple of months and thereafter. Concerns over lack of growth should be questioned or addressed between months 10-12. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon