Can I rid of gynecomastia without surgery?

Hi i am 20 When I was 17 years old I did not have this problem , but with the increase in the weight of the problem.

Gynecomastia Surgery

Without photos, deciphering whether you have gynecomastia would be difficult. Because you began to notice your breasts getting larger with weight gain, surgery may not be necessary. Try getting yourself back to an ideal weight, and see from there whether your condition has improved. If you're still noticing the same concerns, even with weight loss, I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to further discuss your treatment options. 

Without photos it is difficult to make a recommendation.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  It takes months to completely heal from surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Non-Surgical Gynecomastia Treatment

The most common and popular treatment for gynecomastia patients is the removal of the excess breast tissue with surgery. Treatments are recommended by the doctor and are determined on the severity of gynecomastia and the patient’s individual health issues. Now, there are non-surgical options but they will most likely be determined by a plastic surgeon in consultation when determining the severity of your condition and your desired results. From what it sounds like there may be a few different situations to consider when meeting with a surgeon, as follows:·       Adult Gynecomastia – Fat deposits are apparent in the glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia is the most common. Doctors may recommend surgery for treatment of the condition.·       Pseudo-Gynecomastia – It is composed of adipose tissue instead of glandular tissue. This type of gynecomastia can be treated with diet, liposuction or surgery.·       Severe Gynecomastia – This type of gyencomastia commonly affects those who have lost skin elasticity at an older age and those who have been obese or overweight at one point in their life and lost weight may have saggy skin and breasts that are severely enlarged. Surgery is the recommended treatment for severe gynecomastia. Hopefully with the full evaluation of your situation and all of the details of your development of gynecomastia, your surgeon will be able to best help you find a non-surgical treatment option. Best of luck to you!

Without photographs it will be difficult to give you any significant guidance. If you yourself say this is related to weight loss then before you even contemplate a consultation get yourself back to a realistic weight and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Find the right surgeon

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Thank you for sharing your question.  If you have true male glandular development, only surgery can help correct the gynecomastia.  If you have seen fluctuations in the size of your chest as a result of your overall weight you may have more of a pseudogynecomastia taking place, whereby an abnormal fat deposit is causing the increased chest appearance and which may respond to diet and exercise.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your options. 

Non-surgical solution for gynecomatia?

If you have had male breasts for 3 years, it most likely will not go away on its own. If you have "true gynecomastia", which is caused by a combination of fat and breast tissue, the only way to get rid of your breasts is by surgery. However, if you have "pseudogynecomastia," which is caused by fat alone, you might see a reduction by losing weight or by liposuction alone. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD