The best option to teat nasal tip dropping? (Photo)

Dear drs. I want to know the best option to treat this defect where my tip of nose is down even when I'm not smiling or speaking but increase with them I read about other optionslike botulinum toxin injection ,cutting of depressor m. ... that will help me except rhinoplasy can you tell me about them and the best for me and is this dropping the cause of going up of my upper lip when smiling .i put picture for my nose to see it Thanks alooooot

Rhinoplasty procedure for drooping tip

From the one limited photograph, it appears that there is a large dorsal hump with a convexity pointing downward, and drooping nasal tip cartilages.  A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, rotating the nasal tip cartilages upward, and releasing the depressor septi ligament. Closed rhinoplasty can accomplish all these maneuvers with all incisions placed on the inside of the nose.  Releasing of the depressor septi ligament will prevent the tip from drooping when smiling.  For more information and many  before and after examples, please see the link and the video below 

The best option to teat nasal tip dropping?

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

The best option to treat nasal tip dropping?

Thanks for your photographs and question.  With little doubt you stand to benefit from a rhinoplasty performed either open with a small stair-step incision across your columella or closed.  The choice should be made after discussion with your plastic surgeon based on your mutual preference.  You have a lot to gain from the procedure and you might also wish to consider placement of a small chin implant based on your profile photograph.

Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon or a facial/ENT plastic surgeon to be examined in person and review photographs of other patients, image your photographs and formulate a plan.

Good luck,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Drooping tip

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, rhinoplasty is the best option.  You would benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly.  Nonsurgical options will not work.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Droopy tip

The only real choice is surgery. 

The tip needs to be rotated upwards and projected with a tip graft. The bridge it too high. The tip needs to project above the dorsal line (bridge).

This can be done with a closed rhinoplasty

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Open rhinoplasty

You have a tension type nose problem with a strong connection between your nose and your upper lip - a number of manouevres are needed to achieve those changes and for a long term result an open rhinoplasty would be best

Rhinoplasty

A droopy tip is a common concern of patients seeking rhinoplasty. While there are non surgical options that may provide subtle improvement, nasal surgery is the only way to achieve a long term and substantial correction of a drooping tip. In addition, a strong nasal dorsum can be reduced at the same time and will help to create a more lifted appearance to the tip.

I would recommend consulting with a facial plastic surgeon who regularly performs rhinoplasty to explore your options- best of luck!

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon