I have white skin and dark hair. I would like to know which is the best for me and what the frequency should be?

I have white skin and dark hair In my area there are two type of laser Alexanderite and doi I would like to know which is the best for me and what is the frequency should be ? Im tierd of having these hair on my body actually my hair become long....

The best for Laser hair removal

Diode lasers are typically the best treatment for laser hair removal. I suggest you see an expert for evaluation. It will take a series of treatments for improvement and may need additional sessions to maintain results. Best, Dr. Emer

Light skin with dark hair, what's best laser for LHR?

The best lasers would be the alexandrite (first) and the diode (second) laser. Keep in mind that the hair needs to be coarse. Thin dark hair is still difficult to remove, particularly on the body that is not the underarm, bikini, or legs. The most important choice is the provider. Make sure they have plenty of experience with this procedure. Safety is important.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Light Skin and Dark Hair

Hi there, luckily you have the perfect hair and skin type for laser hair removal. You are correct that an Alexandrite laser would be the best for you. Fortunately there are so many good manufacturers of these machines that your options are limited only by what's in your community. I would look for a clinic that is staffed by a physician. Although you do not need to be a doctor to perform LHR, a clinic that has a medical director can ensure that the equipment will be used correctly and take care of any adverse outcomes.

Also look for a clinic that has good reviews and transparent pricing. It's easy to find a great deal, but it's your skin and your hair, so making sure that you receive the best treatment is ultimately going to be more important and possibly more cost effective. Good luck!

​Find an Experienced Provider with Good Equipment that is Regularly Calibrated

Almost all newer lasers are safe for all skin types and have features built in (such as sapphire cooling tips) to make them more comfortable.  Some of the newer technology is also more efficient, allowing for lower energy settings to be used with better results and less discomfort.  For any laser treatment, safety is the most important consideration.   In our state, every new laser patient has to be seen by a medical practitioner.  At that point, they can determine if you can be safely treated with their laser.

We recommend finding an experienced and reputable provider in your area with updated equipment.  A consistent overlapping technique is the key to avoiding patchiness in LHR.   Calibration and power of the laser is important for a safe, comfortable and effective treatment.  Find out what laser they will use and if it is under a maintenance contract.  If their laser isn’t calibrated on a regular basis or is underpowered, your treatment may be painful or inefficient. After a series of 6-8 initial treatments, you may need a touch up every 3-5 years.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician