320lbs (145kg) looking forward to do a surgery [need help]

Hello. I'm a man of 320lbs! (BMI: 43.3) and I KNOW that liposuction is not a treatment for me and bariatric is a better solution. I just want to have my (male) breast and thighs done. My plan is to lose about 130lbs AFTER getting rid of the breast/thighs fat. I know surgery wouldn't help me lose weight and I'm not looking for that. I’m just doing the chest area to gain confidence so I could be able to do sports and lose weights. Questions is will I die during the surgery? Many thanks.

Preparing For Gynecomastia Surgery

Three options exist for surgery. Smaller procedures can actually be done in the office with light oral sedation. Adolescents frequently do better with a light general #anaesthetic.Twilight or IV sedation are another great choice. All procedures are outpatient either in the office or a certified outpatients surgery facility.

The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery.
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Timing of cosmetic surgery

Having cosmetic surgery prior to weight loss is putting the cart before the horse.   Unfortunately after you lose 130 lbs you will likely need additional revisional surgery in the same exact areas.   In addition, with a BMI of 43.3 you are at a significant risk of postop complications including poor wound healing and prolonged swelling.  Your aesthetic result will be much better if you wait until you reach your goal weight.  I would consider seeking out a bariatric surgeon, nutritionist and personal trainer to help you achieve your weight loss goals before considering plastic surgery.  Good luck with your weight loss.

Jacob Bloom, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  You need to first seek out a medical weight loss program or talk with a bariatric surgeon about weight loss alternatives PRIOR to undergoing the cosmetic surgery you desire.  Losing the weight first and being able to maintain a stable weight will allow you to achieve the best possible results.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision

How should I choose a surgeon? Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery. So be extremely careful choosing the right Plastic Surgeon at the beginning.There is no simple solution to your problem.You have a severe case of gynecomastia and for best results you should see an expert in this field.In the long term it is much cheaper.

Mordcai Blau, MD