Is there anything I can do - some sort of procedure or something - to make my eyes more symmetrical? (photos)

Hi! I know it's not super obvious at first glance, but especially in pictures it looks as if I have a lazy eyelid on my left eye (the eye to the right in the picture). I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it, and if there is anything I can do, what I can expect (results, procedure, costs, etc). Thank you in advance!

You most likely have bilateral upper eyelid ptosis that is more marked on the left side.

It is critical that the effects of ptosis surgery be considered on both side.  The ptosis on the left side is most obvious as is the eyebrow compensation.  However, I suspect that if only the left side were corrected, immediately after surgery, the right side would become heavy.  For this reason the consultation should carefully assess you for the possibility of Herring's law ptosis on the right side.

You have ptosis on the left side.  The only way to fix this is with a surgery.  See an oculoplastic surgeon who can evaluate your eyelid muscles to determine what would be the best technique for elevating the lid. Should be pretty straight forward.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. An eyelid surgery - or blepharoplasty - can make your eyes more symmetrical. Patients commonly ask how long eyelid surgery will last, both during the operation and during the recovery. Because tissue is being removed, on will always look better than they would have had they not had the surgery. The reality is that we will continue to age and therefore, there will always be changes and aging in this area. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon