I want my implants removed. Any suggestions?

I am almost 5 months post op & I know for sure that I want my silicone implants removed as soon as I have the funds. Is the procedure more difficult than getting them put in? Will my breast tissue be the same? Is it more costly than it was to begin with? I was a very small A and had breast fed. And I got 300 cc under the muscle. I am now a full B or small C. I don't want to deal with the possible long term health issues & replacements. Will my boobs be ruined.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - I want my implants removed

In general, the way you look after implant removal depends on many factors, including how big the implants are, how long they were, specifics of your skin, weight gains and losses, etc.  I don't think it's realistic to expect that your breasts will look exactly the way they did before.  They might, but it's better for you not to count on that.

Usually, removing the implants is simpler than inserting them.  The recovery is less, there is less pain, etc.  There is always the risks of complications (such as bleeding) but, when compared with putting them in, it is, overall, less involved.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100

Thank you for the question. Breast implant removal recovery surgery is usually almost painless and associated with a faster return to activities compared to the breast augmentation procedure. The procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia depending on the circumstances of the specific patient.
Generally speaking, what your breasts will look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Based on your description, I think that you will most likely end up with a very nice outcome ( similar to your preoperative status) once your breast implants are removed. In short, you have a lot of favorable characteristics on your side, making me optimistic that you will end up with a very nice outcome.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps.

Implant removal

Implant removal is generally an easier recovery than when they are first placed.  There is less recovery time and generally less discomfort.  It is difficult to say how your breasts will look afterwards.  The skin has stretched out some due to the volume of the implants, but depending on your skin's elasticity, they may retract to an appearance that is acceptable to you.  Please remember that breasts change over time regardless if implants are present or not.  Pregnancy, breastfeeding, age, and genetics all will play a part in how your breasts look over time.

Camille Cash, MD

Implant removal

It is probably best to have your implants removed by your original surgeon. He will more than likely give you the best price.  As for how you breasts will respond, it is difficult to say.

Define your goals

You need to analyze why you want your implants out.  If it is just because they are silicone, they can be easily changed for saline.  If you don't want to have implants at all, they can be removed.   Depending on the size and shape of your breast before surgery, there will be some change in the shape after implant removal.  Since the implants have only been in place for 5 months, the likelihood have having significant changes in the breast shape is lower.  Depending on the distance between the implant and the skin, the feasibility and safety of fat grafting is questionable.  The removal surgery is neither difficult nor more expensive than the placement.

The implants can be removed fairly easily.  However, your breasts may not be exactly like they were before surgery due to stretching of your tissue. Your doctor will be the one to give you the best idea of what you might expect. If you don't like what you see, you might consider fat transfer.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Based on the information given, the cost should be minimal and your post op appearance will be just about the same as it was preoperatively but it may take 3-6 weeks for the tissues to contract to their final position so be patient. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Please see site IMPLANTREMOVAL.NET for more information on removal of your implants. Best of luck for your future surgery 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

I want my implants removed.

Thank you for your question.  One can have breast implants removed at any time.  Usually removal is easier than placement unless one has a capsular contracture that requires removal.  When going from an "A" cup to a "C" cup size the breast tissues most likely were stretched.  Depending upon you unique tissue charachteristics this may or may not shrink back to the size before augmentation.  Many times however, the breast undergoes expansion and may not shrink back.  It is best to start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon