Am I screwing up my results by not wearing my garment?

I've seen that some doctors dont use them at all and i wore mine for 10 days but the pain was unbearable. It was interfering with my drains , pulling and tucking them one even went deeper into the incision and i cant see the stitches anymore. So i threw in the towel 3 days ago and ordered me an adjustable 12" 3- panel binder to wear after my drains are removed. my doctor says im going to mess up my results. Really?

Garment

Thank you for your question.  Removing your garment should not mess up your results.  Please be sure that you clearly communicated to your surgeon the pain the garment was causing you.  He or she might be more sympathetic of this and offer an alternative.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry that your garment has been causing you such inconvenience. In general compression garments are beneficial as they add an additional layer of support, and reduce the amount of swelling that can develop. This is important because skin stretch from swelling can cause additional pain, and can lead to a longer recovery.  Whether it affects your long-term results is up for debate, but there's no reason to be in unbearable pain. Your binder should work well enough, and you can also try compression garments, such as Spanx, that may be more comfortable as an alternative options.  Hang in there!

Am I going to mess up my results by not wearing a garment?

No, you are not going to mess up your results.  I ask my patients to wear a compression garment for 2 weeks after surgery day and night but I also discuss with them that there are other alternatives if the garment is unbearable.  Some people really like the garment for support; others find it extremely uncomfortable as you have.  A binder should help to provide some support and help with swelling and if it is more comfortable, it is certainly better than nothing.  Spanx can also sometimes be an option.  Hopefully your drains will come out soon as well.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  As you have mentioned not all surgeons have their patients use garments.  Certainly with drains it is problematic.  I do have my patients use garments to help with the swelling.  I tell them that it is to help decrease swelling which interferes with healing. I also mention that I do not want to make the recovery period unbearable and that if it is too tight or does not fit that it is ok to remove and come in to see if a different garment would be appropriate.  Having the garment off will not make you fall apart, but it can expedite swelling and the recovery.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a Compression Garment Following the Mommy Makeover

The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Do compressive garments have any effect on the final outcome after mommy makeover surgery?

Like many plastic surgeons I asked my patients to wear compressive garments for a few weeks after mommy makeover surgery. In the short-term, they at least provide comfort. Whether or not they have any effect on the final aesthetic outcome is doubtful.

In general one wears a garment following surgery to decrease swelling and provide some support. The length of time often depends on the quality of one's skin. If you have undergone abdominoplasty, a three panel binder may suffice but be sure to discuss this with your surgeon. Discuss your concerns but also listen to your surgeon's concerns.

Garments aid in the healing process.

Hi and thanks for your question.  I am sorry that your garment is causing you so much difficulty.  I typically have my patients wear their garments day and night for the first month and then for 12 hours for another 2 weeks.  Most patients find them to be quite supportive.  If yours is causing you so much pain, consult with your operating surgeon to ask for other alternatives.  Spanx can be worn, or perhaps a different size of your present garment. Binders can be used, but often are more difficult to have stay in place.  These compression garments help to minimize swelling and skin stretching ( which can prolong your healing if they occur.)  But, by all means, talk to your surgeon.  Good luck to you.

Every surgeon has their own post operative requirements. It is always best to follow your surgeons instructions. Try speaking with his office staff, maybe they have some suggestions for you. Best of luck, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry to hear that your garment has been uncomfortable so far. There are always creative options available to help make you more comfortable while also ensuring safe, effective post-op care. You should be able to wear a binder with drains in place which is better than no compression at all. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about your drains- adjustment or removal. Also ask about pain management options.

All the best