Are there any procedures that can be done to help with a tummy where all your extra fat seems to go? (photos)

My tummy is much larger than the rest of me. So much that I have a hard time finding clothes that fit. The clothes that fit best come from the maternity section. I was 135 at my lowest and I still had a good amount of fat on my tummy area. I'm 250 now...I'm trying to get to 220. Just wanted to see if there were any procedures that help with this area?

Consider Liposuction Then Abdominoplasty

Hello, and thank you for your excellent question!  I would probably recommend proceeding with liposuction of the abdomen, flanks, and back first.  6 months later, I would then recommend a full abdominoplasty with or without the use of additional, smaller volume, liposuction.  You can do liposuction and tummy tucks at the same time, but you are limited in the amount of liposuction that you can do if you're combining the two, in the same procedure.  Good luck!

Missoula Plastic Surgeon

Are there any procedures that can be done to help with a tummy where all your extra fat seems to go?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Am I A Liposuction Candidate?

Liposuction is a fine contouring cosmetic procedure and not used as a weight loss tool. I suggest consulting with a bariatric surgeon at this point to discuss weight loss and a treatment plan. When you have reached your ideal weight, liposuction can be performed for body contouring and sculpting.  You will need a multiple staged procedure for the skin to be removed.  You need a plan by an experienced body shaping physician.  Best, Dr. Emer

Tummy Tuck needed for loose skin

A tummy tuck or Abdominoplasty is a procedure that consists of 3 basic steps:
  1. Skin removal
  2. Fat removal
  3. Muscle repair
This is a major procedure and should be performed on women who are finished with child bearing, stable in weight, non smoker and in good health.   It is a long recovery, 3-6 weeks, and involves drain tubes and assistance with every day chores.  A new long acting local anesthetic, Exparel, has been a game changer for us in controlling post operative pain relief.  This medication will keep the involved area numb for 3-5 days allowing a quicker recovery, less narcotic use and the ability to perform this procedure as an outpatient.
Based on the photograph, you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck procedure, the exact type and extent of the excision will need to be determined by your surgeon.  Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in body contouring procedures to assure yourself of the best possible result.
Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck? All my fat goes to my stomach

Thank you for asking about your abdomen.
  • You do have a significant problem -
  • In fact, your insurance might pay for a panniculectomy -
  • This is surgery that removes the overhanging tummy skin.
  • Another option is a tummy tuck - it removes excess skin, repairs the muscle and does some liposuction.
  •  Ideally, reach a weight you can maintain before making a decision.
  • If you are more than 100 pounds overweight at 220, you might consider a gastric bypass for weight loss to get to a normal weight and then have body lifting to restore your shape.
  • Given your choices, a good first step might be a consultation with a plastic surgeon to decide which approach is best for you.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS