Can plastic surgery make my nose smaller? (photos)

I want my nose smaller in size, if possible Ive seen people get their noses straighten but can my nose be reduced?

Rhinoplasty Goals

You would be an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Using autologous grafts (tissue and cartilage from your own body) will provide the safest and most permanent results.

Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

How to Make a Smaller Nose

Reducing the size of a nose is a standard rhinoplasty procedure.  From your photographs I see an overprojected nose and an underprojected chin.  Both of these can be corrected surgically; and correcting both will give greater overall harmony to your profile view.
I recommend setting up a consult with a local rhinoplasty expert.  You will need to have your nose examined in order to determine what surgical maneuvers will be necessary in order to give you the results you desire.

Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can plastic surgery make my nose smaller?

The appearance of the nose can be made to look smaller with a natural appearing  rhinoplasty.

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do and how to do it based on limited two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best surgery. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

The photographs from the side profile demonstrate an overly projecting nose, and a significant under projecting chin. Consider placement of a chin implant to help with facial  balance and proportions, especially with respect to the overly projecting nose.  A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish making the overall nose smaller and less projecting, while a chin implant to give forward projection to the chin. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination. For many examples of this combination, please see the video and the link below

Nose Smaller

Rhinoplasty surgery can be customized based on what look the patient is trying to achieve. I would schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so that you can discuss in person ways that he/she can decrease the size and look of your nose to fit your expectations. Good Luck.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Nathannn, you would be a candidate for nose and chin surgery; don't discount the later. review all the chin implant photos on my site and I think you will get the picture. See an experienced specialist that does "only faces". Search the Internet. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

It certainly is possible

Your desired outcome can be achieved with rhinoplasty. Get a consultation with a plastic surgeon and be advised on its specifics.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Improving your nose.

I agree with other surgeons that have said that your chin is small and lacks projection. Correction of this will help to give you balance to your face. The technique that I prefer is a sliding genioplasty. This involves cutting the bone and moving it forward so there is no need for a permanent implant.As far as your nose goes, I don't think that your nose needs to be smaller as such, but rather more balanced. I think that reducing the dorsum of the nose would be an improvement but the tip of your nose may actually need to be enhanced with addition of a graft to give it more balance compared to the sides of your nose which are large and fleshy.The best thing would be to have a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon who does rhinoplasty.Good luck with your search.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Hello nathannn,
Thanks for your question.
Yes your nose can be made smaller and shorter so that it doesn't stick so far out from your face.  At the same time I would recommend a chin implant placement to lengthen your jaw a bit and better balance off your long nose.
A consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist in your area would help you better understand your options.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Rhinoplasty to address the size and shape of your nose should help you address your concerns. You have to understand that there is no such thing as the “perfect” nose. As rhinoplasty surgeons, we are able to improve the structure and function of the nose to address specific issues you have with how your nose looks and and how well you can breathe. Perfect symmetry does not exist in nature. Attempts to improve the symmetry of your nose should be aimed at achieving an improvement in your asymmetry to the point where it is no longer very noticeable. If you look carefully enough, you will always be able to find imperfections. The goal is a normal looking nose that is in harmony with the rest of your anatomy.