What's Involved in a Neck Lift Revision?

I am 4 months out from a neck lift and soon after I was seeing sagging on both sides of my under the chin area. My jowls seem to be in the same condition they were prior to the lift. My ps is planning a revision (local) to remove excess skin.. How this may be done, I'm not sure. Are you familiar with the method? He is planning a 90 minute proceedure.

Minor procedures often result in minor results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

"Minor procedures" often result in minor results and can be disappointing to the patient and surgeon. Therefore, the selection of the technique must match the patient's anatomy and goals with realistic expectations.

Suture suspension techniques, rely heavily on the sutures. If they break, or tear through the tissue, then the support will be lost and the neck and/or jowl will drop.

Most patients with significant jowls and hanging neck tissues require removal of excess fat, sometimes above and below the neck muscles (platysma), reinforcement and tightening of the SMAS and platysma and tayloring and redraping of the skin.

these can sometimes be accomplished with a shortscar facelift with limited incisions, but in other patients requires more extensive surgery to achieve a longlasting and good result.

What's Involved in a Neck Lift Revision

It's difficult to determine without seeing before and after photos, or, an in-person examination. It is also helpful to know more about the surgical techniques applied during the procedures. Nevertheless, it's best to wait at least 6 to 12 months depending on the reason for a #revision.

A necklift is not a singular procedure with a singular #method, but rather is an umbrella term describing a large range of operations with varying #incisions and skin-lifting #techniques, which have been developed and improved upon over the years.  Your board certified plastic surgeon will be familiar and able to pair you with your perfect match of surgical approaches based on your skin type and desired results.  

The type of necklift incision will depend upon your gender, your hairline and preferred hairstyles, any scars from previous surgeries, and a variety of other factors.  As a general rule, a #necklift #incision starts right in front of or within the hairline on the temple, follows the curve of the front of the ear, travels underneath the earlobe, and ends at the hairline behind the ear.  There are also shorter #scar techniques preferred by many patients, which do not have incisions in the hairline.  Some patients who wish to have liposuction or tightening of their neck will need an additional incision under their #chin, which can be hidden in a natural skin fold.

With any surgical #procedure and #revision, there are some risks of unhappy outcome or other complications which your surgeon should discuss with you during your consultation. Your procedure should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for additional revision surgery.

Revision neck lift

Withotu an exam it is difficult to say what you would need. However, some combination or incisions udner the chin and along the border of the ears would probably be necessary.

Revision neck lift

It sounds like you had some sort of quickie lift done. Fortunately, it sounds like your plastic surgeon will do a revision for you without charging you. I always tell patients to expect minimal results from minimal procedures. You probably needed a more substantial operation to help you achieve what you wanted.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon