I had liposuction and extended adominplasty 5 months ago. My stomach is quite swollen and tight feeling. Is this normal?

I had liposuction and extended adominplasty 5 months ago. The scar has healed very well but I still feel my stomach is quite swollen and tight feeling. Is this normal? Also I am doing 5k runs a couple of times a week and I'm concerned that this may be exasperated the problem. Do you have any suggestion on how I can help the healing process. Thank you.

Swelling

Returning to exercise five months postop is not too soon but you may be doing too much too quickly.  It would be helpful to take a tape measure and measure the circumference around your trunk to see if it is decreasing as it should.  In addition, you should probably be doing your runs in a compression garment to discourage aggravation of swelling.  Lastly, you may wish to increase your exercise routine more gradually.  Lastly, it would probably be smart to return to your plastic surgeon and undergo examination to make sure you do not have a fluid collection.

5 Months Post Op Swelling Concern

I recommend that you check in with your surgeon as they know your situation the best. Running should be just fine at 5 months and typically, swelling has resolved by this point.

All the best

Still Swollen at 5 Months Post Op

At 5 months post op, your swelling should be close to gone. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your surgeon to be examined in person. Some patients do take longer to heal and you may be one of them but without seeing you in person, it is impossible to say. I typically allow my tummy tuck patients to return to strenuous exercise at 6 weeks so I don't think that running is the issue. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon