Hello I was interested in getting my tear troughs filled. Am I a candidate? (photo)

if so which filler is best restylane or juvederm

Doctor Answers 9

Hello I was interested in getting my tear troughs filled. Am I a candidate?

Yes! I would use Belotero-Balance (HA) 1 cc syringe. In MIami fee range $550. Best to find .//an expert injector

Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Tear Trough Tough!

This is a tricky area. Either Belotero or Restylane can be used. Expect bruising and possible irregularities that can be smoothed out with some gentle compression or dissolved by your physician injector, Do not use anyone that doesn't do a lot of this type of injection! I charge $600 for this and it is time intensive for the injector.

Manuel M. Pena, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon
3.4 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Filler for the tear trough

When injected properly by a board certified and experienced physician, Restylane yields a fantastic result in the tear trough. I would recommend an in-person consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They are all great choices. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Restylane works to contour the tear trough area

Yes, you are a good candidate for tear trough contouring. I typically use Restylane in this area.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

Tear Trough Filler

Although I do like Juvederm as a filler, using it in the tear troughs is not a good idea. Either Belotero of Restylane in the hands of a very experienced injector is most advisable. This is a procedure that has to be performed carefully and precisely.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Candidate for tear trough filler

It would be best to be assessed in person by an expert injector such as a dermatologist, especially for a highly sensitive area such as the tear trough. From the looks of it, you'd likely be a good candidate. All the hyaluronic acid based fillers are good in this location, but I have a preference for restylane in this location.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 50 reviews

From this picture it looks like you would benefit from a filler to the tear trough.

One of the best fillers for this area is Belotero, and this is the one I use most frequently now for lower eyelids. The skin here is very thin, and only hyaluronic acid fillers should be used.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

I prefer Restylane under the eyes

While an in-person consultation is required to get the most accurate evaluation, from your very limited photo, I think that you would be a great candidate for tear trough injections, and I think that you would get a good result. For under the eye, I prefer Restylane to the other Hyaluronic acid fillers. All Hyaluronic Acid filler (Restylane, Perlane, Juvaderm) absorb water, but it seems that Restylane does so much more predictably than the others. Juvaderm or Perlane under the eyes can theoretically give you intermittent puffiness that can be a bit unpredictable.

As an aside, filler under the eyes can do wonders for patients who have a "hill, valley, hill" problem under the eye- a true tear trough that is a hollowed ridge. It won't help patients with darkened, pigmented areas under the eyes.

I would also recommend scheduling your injections when you can take a few days off. Injections in this area can cause you some puffiness and bruising for a few days.

Dara Liotta, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Get a proper evaluation

In order for a best answer to this question you should see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specilizes in filler injections. You will want a proper evaluation of your tear troughs at rest and when smiling or moving your face. The overall view is important and for best results you should have an in office cosmetic consult where your whole face can be assessed and both dynamic (movement) and passive (non-movement) wrinkles as well as volume deficiencies and contour irregularities (facial asymmetry) can be evaluated. This will help give you the ultimate best long-term outcome. This procedure, if you are a candidate, is very easy and quite satisfying to patients in our practice. Best, Dr. E.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.