Can insurance pay for vaginoplasty?

Doctor Answers 4

Vaginoplasty and Medical Insurance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you're having a vaginoplasty to cure a documented medical problem, medical insurance will usually pay for it. Vaginal laxity and a desire for more friction during sex do not constitute medical problems. However, pelvic floor defects such as symptomatic rectocele or cystocele are valid medical problems and would be covered. You might encounter difficulty in finding a gynecologist like myself who is actually trained and experienced in managing both types of procedures.

Insurance For Vaginoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Aesthetic Vaginal Surgery is not covered by most health plans since it is cosmetic in nature. But, if you do have “functional” disorders such as pain, it may be worth checking your policy. Although our practice does not have contracts with #insurance companies, we can provide our patients with papers to submit to their
carrier following surgery.
However, it is possible to #finance the surgery. Information on financing may be available through your surgeon's office staff.

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Vaginoplasty and Insurance

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Vaginoplasty to augment the sexual experience is considered cosmetic and not covered by insurance which focuses on reconstructive surgery. Reconstructive surgery that may be covered by your insurance include other related problems to the vagina such as repair of a torn sphicter muscle from child birth complications, bladder, rectal or uterine prolapse and/or urinary incontinence.

Insurance coverage for Vaginoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most, if not all, health insurance carriers consider "vaginoplasty/vaginal rejuvenation" purely cosmetic.  However, not uncommonly women seeking vaginoplasty also have other medical functional problems such as bladder or uterine prolapse and/or urinary incontinence which frequently are covered by insurance.  The only way to determine this is to consult with a board certified gynecologist that can physically examine you.  Glad to help.

Ryan A. Stanton, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 128 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.