I was unable to wear a compression garment for the first 3 weeks post op. Will this late start effect my final results? (photo)

I had a mommy makeover with lipo to my flanks, lower back, and both upper and lower abdomen. Due to my lipo burns, and debridement procedures (which included stitches)my doctor decided it was best not to place me in my compression garment right away. So that my skin could be closely monitored, and to avoid too much pressure on the skin. I'm now 4 weeks post op, wearing my second stage Faja, and it has done wonders to eliminate the swelling in my stomach!

Wearing a Compression Garment Following the Mommy Makeover

The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

There is no evidence that compressive garments influence the final outcome after mommy makeover

Like most plastic surgeons I prescribe a postoperative compressive garment. However there is no evidence that these make any difference in the final outcome.

Your plastic surgeon will continue to guide you along the recovery process

Its sounds like you have had a few bumps in the recovery road and your plastic surgeon has been doing a god job guiding you through it.  I would touch base with them regarding what garment you should be wearing at this time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

I was unable to wear a compression garment for the first 3 weeks post op. Will this late start effect my final results?

It most likely would not matter at this time frame. You are recovering from a skin issue that takes precedence over the girdle... 

Compression garments after liposuction should be avoided when blood supply is compromised

The skin loss on your flanks is due to lack of proper blood supply and is a serious problem.  My concern is that wearing a compression garment can further restrict blood supply to these areas thus I would not encourage you to wear a compression garment until the skin has healed.  I do not think it will adversely affect you results to not wear the compression garment.

Unable to wear garments for 3 weeks

While it is best to wear your garment when possible during the first three weeks after a mommy makeover, you certainly can still have an excellent result if you atart wearing it now.  Good luck.