Will a facelift make my jowls smaller or do I also need lipo of the jowls? (Photos)

I had Bellafill added to my pre-Jowl sulcus/marionette lines in February 2016. I think she used one syringe for each side. Now I feel my face looks fuller and heavier and my jowls are actually worse. Would a facelift slim the protruding jowls or would need liposuction too? (All pics are after Bellafill). Thank you in advance.

Treating jowls

As you have discovered, fillers don't necessarily correct sagging jowls. They simply make them fuller looking. A facelift can lift the excess skin and muscle and reposition the fat so that liposuction isn't even necessary. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss your best options.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Will a facelift make my jowls smaller or do I also need lipo of the jowls?

If you are not happy with the look of your face, you feel that you are getting older, your skin started to lose its elasticity and if you think that this situation is going to get even worse if you do not take any precaution; then you can be a good candidate for “Spider Web Aesthetics”. Most people are afraid of surgical interventions since the complication risk and the results can frighten the patients. Therefore patients are seeking for non-surgical solutions more and more. Spider Web Aesthetics is a non-surgical lifting method developed by plastic surgeon Bülent Cihantimur MD. If you are afraid of having a surgical intervention and you are not happy with the sagging of your skin especially in face, inner arms, buttocks and neck; you should consider undergoing this minimal invasive, safe and effective method

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Fillers Won't Be Effective, Facelift More Appropriate

Unfortunately, fillers do not really correct jowls, and adding volume in an attempt disguise jowls can make the face look heavier. A facelift with appropriate attention to lifting the deeper layers, which includes the fat in the jowls, will reposition the fat so that liposuction is usually not necessary. In some patients with marked jowl development, conservative liposuction to the jowl area can be helpful. This is best determined by direct examination rather than photos. You do have a transverse line of relaxation below the mouth, which is challenging to fully correct. I would choose your surgeon carefully and look at before-and-after pictures of patients somewhat like yourself to get a realistic idea of what you can expect.

Facelift

A facelift is a better treatment for jowls rather than liposuction. Facelift technique results in a younger and natural, but not “done," look. The surgery is done in a deeper plane which results in a full-thickness skin and subcutaneous tissue flap, which is redraped and elevated vertically over a repositioned SMAS layer. This avoids the "windswept" effect of pulling back too severely only the top layers of soft tissue.

PERSISTENT JOWLS AFTER BELLAFILL

A variation of the face lift would give you the contour you want.  Once the surgeon gains access to that area under the skin, he can directly sculpt the area of excess fat.  Liposuction in that location is dangerous due to nerves that traverse very close to the area in question.

R. Scott Yarish, MD

Facelift to smooth and soften the jaw line

Thank you for your question. There are many different types of facelifts to choose from. I have pioneered the Concept Facelift which is performed under local anaesthetic and addresses the mid to lower face. I make a very small incision in front of the ear and use absorbable stitches. The scars are slightly red for a couple of weeks but after a month you can hardly notice them. This is one of the main differences between the Concept facelift and a more traditional facelift which has a much larger scar. Another difference is that as I perform this surgery under local anaesthetic the recovery time is much quicker. There is also no need for drains or bandages and you will be in and out of the clinic within a few hours. Bruising is minimal - if any and there is only a small bit of swelling for the first few days post surgery. You can also combine your facelift with a neck lift. This gives fantastic results and goes hand in hand. Liposuction can also remove the fat in the neck but I would advice having a neck lift if you have lipo so that you do not have any sagging skin. I would advise to do your research and go for consultations. Try and ask lots of questions and hopefully you will find the right surgeon to achieve your desired look. I wish you all the best.

A Facelift Tightens and Elevates Jowls

A facelift improves the appearance of the lower face, including the jawline and, to a lesser extent, the neck. Based on the photos provided, it appears you could be a good candidate for a facelift or mini facelift. It's not possible to say for sure without performing a personal exam, but modern facelift techniques can reduce your jowls in a way that will look natural. See a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in facelifts.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Minimal treatment will give minimal results

If you want to get rid of your jowl and have a nice neckline, nothing shyof a facelift will give you thatresult.

Facelift

Thank you for your question.Your a candidate for facelift. I pioneered the minimally invasive facelift. I've lectured nationally and internationally on the subject.Liposuction is sometimes included in the facelift, if indicated. This would be determined after a physical examination.I incorporate the FINESSE technique that I invented . Bleeding , bruising and pain is minimal and recovery is quicker when compared to traditional technique.  I hope you find this useful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Facelift is the surgical procedure to treat jowls.

Thanks for sharing. A lower facelift is the procedure to lift the jowls, lower cheeks, and some of the neck. Fillers in the pre jowl sulcus camouflages the jowl but does not lift  them.  Commonly a bit of lipo in the Joel is performed with my facelift to help further contour this area. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD